string hanging from tang

chadman

we recently put a hang on shower soap holder thingy on our tank and filled it with chaeto...over the past couple days i have noticed that our yellow tang picks at it...then this morning i noticed that the yellow tang has while stringy looking things hanging out of its "behind" they are very white though, not green...my question is first of all could this be chaeto which going through its body and lost its color but that the tang simply can't digest it? and if not what else could this be?!?!

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by chadman
we recently put a hang on shower soap holder thingy on our tank and filled it with chaeto...over the past couple days i have noticed that our yellow tang picks at it...then this morning i noticed that the yellow tang has while stringy looking things hanging out of its "behind" they are very white though, not green...my question is first of all could this be chaeto which going through its body and lost its color but that the tang simply can't digest it? and if not what else could this be?!?!
Had the same thing, dont worry its normal and will pass right through, next "#2"

jerthunter

Yes, it is the chaeto passing through. Back when I have chaeto in my display my tang discovered he liked to eat at and it went right through him. The disgusting thing is he would re eat it. It was amusing to watch because it was like a dog chasing it tail, but rather gross at the same time. After that I removedall chaeto from my display.

jerthunter

Probably, I had chaeto in my display for over a month before the tang tried it. After he ate one piece it was over, he eat every piece left in the display in a matter of days, twice.

chadman

maybe he will realize that when he eats it it ends up hanging out of his ass so he will stop eating it...i suppose fish aren't too inteligent though

jerthunter

Maybe, mine wasn't smart enough, he'd re eat it after it came out.. If I put some chaeto in the tank again he'd go after in a matter of seconds.