strip plugs

dg

My ques is if you have gfi plugs should you still use a power strip or are the ground fault plugs good enough to just plug your equip into.Thanks

small triggers

you should still use a power strip, reason being if water gets into the GFCI somehow and shuts stuff off (which is of course what it is supposed to do) that you have to change out the outlet because you will not be able to reset it once it gets saltwater in it. and believe me it is a pain in the butt to replace one. plus, you need more than just 2 plug spaces right?

pbnj

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a GFCI outlet will not protect against power surges. Most powerstrips have a built-in surge protector (at least that is what I've been told on this forum).

small triggers

well, they kinda do,, but not efficeiently. They will still have a surge which usually trips it. SO still a power strip is better. Plus do you turn your lights on and off by hand everyday. I have a powerstrip light controller (and another power strip) for everything plugged into a gfci outlet. OH another thing with GFCI's if you plugg in slowly or pull a plug out slowly, it will trip

dg

Thanks for the answers.I just moved the tank from my son's rm downstairs so turning on the light was his morning job.Also not to sound dump but do they make a powerstrip with a timer built in for your lights or do you mean you just have your lights on a diffrent strip plug? And is there any certain strip plugs or timers anyone can recommend.Thanks

jdl

Originally Posted by DG
http:///forum/post/3001804
Thanks for the answers.I just moved the tank from my son's rm downstairs so turning on the light was his morning job.Also not to sound dump but do they make a powerstrip with a timer built in for your lights or do you mean you just have your lights on a diffrent strip plug? And is there any certain strip plugs or timers anyone can recommend.Thanks
yes they do, but they are expensive. Just buy a $5 timer at HD/Lowes