striped dogface puffer

M

moatdaddy

these SWF guys hardly have any good discreptions on tank size, tank mates and bonus reading material. they have a stripped dogface puffer for sale and was looking into that one or a normal dogface. i got a 125, good cleaning system and 4 month old tank. 3 small fish as tank mates with plent of places to hide. any information on this species would be greatly appreciated

M

moatdaddy

yep thats the one. i did my research. i found that they get to be 6 inches in captivity. they love sand. i got a 5 inch dsb. mild in manner but will stick up for themselves. dont bother too much stuff if well feed. kinda like trigger will get more agressive with age. on sale on this site for 19.99 which is by far the cheapest i could find. considered a rareity/occasional occurance in the hobby.

lion_crazz

Yep, I would pretty much agree with that data that you found. As with all puffers, be cautious about any inverts you may have or plan to add. Most puffers do not mix well with inverts.

M

moatdaddy

i got over a 100 hermit blue leg in my 125 so it will become survival of the fittest if he goes crazy hungry. i have the order on pending right now, i accident added a scallop as a bonus item and im trying to get it removed.

sunburnt

My LFS has one of those for $35. I think you'll find it called the narrow-lined puffer, and I wouldn't hold it to that supposed 6" limit! It might never get to be the documented 12" they get in the wild, but 6" sounds very conservative...
http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/z...manilensis.htm (( That link is to a site that doesn't sell anything so I think it's okay! ))
Good luck with him! They're cute!

sunburnt

Odd that I found 2 sources (fishbase being one of them) that list it at 12"... maybe not the same one? :notsure:

sunburnt

Sorry- I must be looking at a different puffer. The one they have here is listed as Arothron manilensis, and going through 5 pages of Google results, I only found one mention of them being less than 30cm... 23 cm - which would make it 9 inches. :) Must be a different puffer. Still a cool fish.

M

moatdaddy

yeah ill keep yall posted on this some of my readings showed 12" i only found one that said 6" in captivity. so were all in the dark because it seems its a poorly documented fish minus the bare facts. on a side not i own a Fila kennel and got a website for them. do you own a fila sunburnt or just like them

sunburnt

Heh. Small world. I have three; two personals and one foster/rescue. The pic is of Riddick, my male. Not a perfect example, head wise, but the love of my life, nonetheless. Where are you and will you link me to the website? I'd love to see your dogs! ( I guess this isn't hijacking a thread since it was yours to begin with!)
:joy: Darla

sunburnt

YGM, Moatdaddy.

What does that MEAN, by the way? Moatdaddy. :thinking: I can only picture someone grinding out "Who's yo daddy?" to a trench full of crocs. That can't be right... :hilarious