Striped squirrel fish and one spot fox face. Compatible?

kilofey

I never see my squirrel fish, so when considering compatibility, i completely forgot about him. Now i have a new foxface, hes been hiding behind the rockwork since hes so new. My striped squirrel fish (named "beer nuts") is chasing him a bit.... are they compatible or is he just upset that someones behing HIS rockwork? Will he settle down in a day or so? Ive always thought squirrels are pretty docile fish, same as foxface.
What would happen if the foxface decided to poke him with his venomous spines, would the squirrel die or just teach him a lesson?
Edit: oh and the squirrel is chasing my clowns a little too. Hes NEVER bothered anyone before. Now hes kindof a jerk :( the new foxface has only been in the tank about half an hour

btldreef

Turn your lights off for a day or two and see how it plays out. It's likely that your Squirrel is just angry that someone new is in his territory. They should get along fine.
If the fox does spike him, it'll probably be a warning the first time and the Squirrel will likely learn his lesson. If he continues to be aggressive, rearrange the rock work.

kilofey

Thanks BTL, they do seem to be more calm today. "Beer nuts", my red striped squirrel, is still a bit on edge, but he seems less pissed off.
My foxface though, since ive never had one, had some odd slime stuff comming off him today. What was it? It was very thin and had a little white tinge to it, was that poison? One of my fish tried to eat it, but i turkey basted the fish to scare him away. If it was poison, is it safe for them to eat??? Like a little bitty clown?

kilofey

I learn something new every day :)
Now he has one small dark black spot (not his color pattern black spot, its small and in the middle of his body). Its been there all day, could have been there yesterday, but i didnt notice cause he was hiding all day. Is this what happens with an injury? Like if the squirrel bit him or maybe he snaged himself on a rock?
He is out in the open more today and "Beer nuts" is leaving him alone more and more, hes also eating well. Im not particularly worried about the black spot, just more curious as to what it is

btldreef

I tried editing my earlier post, but my phone was giving me issues. Fox's can change color, as well as the whole shedding thing. Mine was always lighter if the lights were off and darker during the day. If he was stressed or eating, he'd have little spots, sometimes patchy spots of darker coloring. I'd just keep an eye on him, since he is a new fish and there is an aggressor in the tank, but as long as he's eating and not being attacked, it should all work out once he's comfortable.

kilofey

Ok, thanks for bearing with my paranoia lol. I think the black spot just worried me because its dark black and very defined, not patchy and hasnt gone away today, but ill give him some time to adjust and keep an eye on it. Id immagine if he did get bit, the spot would change color since theyre so chameleon-like. I did see the squirrel latch onto his tail pretty good yesterday, so id immagine it probably is a bite, but the squirrel was less fussy today, so i think it should heal without much more aggression (if that is kn fact what im seeing).

btldreef

Just keep an eye on it and possibly start adding vitamins to the food. I'm not completely positive what happens if a squirrel bites another fish. If the fox is acting normal, it's just something to watch. They do change color quite a lot. Mine completely scared me in the beginning because I didn't know that about them. Wait until you find him sleeping once he's adjusted to the tank. You'll think he's dead! Same with mandarins, they get really pale and secrete a slime coat and look as if they're dead.

kilofey

Yeah mine kept "fake dying" when i was floating the bag lol. Goofy little critters. Okay btl, thankyou for all your help. Much appreciated! :hi: