struggling sebae - help!

djessem

I have just placed a new sebae one week ago and he as fine until yesterday i noticed he was unattached and drifting somewhat . He still has a sticky texture to his tentacles but also has a clear tissue matter in his center. He was originallyattached to a rock which i have found out is a no-no and he has been placed in sand since three days ago. Can anyone advise how to nurture him back to health and assist his aclimation in my tank?

broomer5

He was originally attached to a rock which i have found out is a no-no and he has been placed in sand since three days ago
Where did you hear that it's a no-no ? and how did you get the anenome unattached to this rock, and placed in the sandbed ?
My Sebae only attaches to live rocks ?
The clear tissue in the center sounds like it's mouth and will appear now and then depending on the anemone's general condition, whether it's feeding or eliminating wastes.

spsfreak100

It's normal for seabe anemones to move around the tank. The first location that it chose most likely didn't fit all its needs, thus why it had to move. Anemones (unfortunatly) do not have a central brain and cannot adapt to different locations that it wouldn't get in the wild. The location that the sebae is put into must match exactly what it would receive in the wild. I would leave it and let it roam around the tank at its own pace, as long as there isn't any open powerheads near by that the anemone could get stuck in.
He was originallyattached to a rock which i have found out is a no-no and he has been placed in sand since three days ago.
Sebae's do not need to be placed in the sand. Sebae anemones are actually more rock boring anemones.
Also, may I ask what your tank conditions are? Such as lighting, filtration, how old the tank is, what color the sebae is, what fish you have, what filtration you have, what tank size, all water parimeters (pH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, calcium, alkalinity, temperature, salinity, etc.) The more information you provide the more accurate reply you'll receive.
Take Care,
Graham

djessem

Here is my tank stats:
90 gal
ammonia/nitrate/nitrite all within acceptable limits
Ca is @ 430
Alk is 9
Temp at 76-78
Ph is 8.2-8.4
Tank wa originally setup in a 75 and switched to the 90 approx i month ago.

djessem

feeding Kent Phytoplankton and its color is till good.....whitish pink with purple tips to the tentacles

bang guy

OK... They don't eat Phyto so that can be a reason it's moving. It's looking for food. Sebaes will eat small crustaceans, small fish and squid. They need to eat more than their size would indicate.
White/pink is a really bad color for Sebae, they should be tan/brown with colored tips. They normally arrive starved of food & light and that's why most are bleached when you see them at the store.
I think that it'll settle down somewhere near the top of the tank once you begin feeding it. For now, in it's bleached condition, I would feed it dime sized pieces of meaty foods every other day if it will accept food that often. Feed as much as it will eat on the days you feed. It will stop injesting food when it's full. ie. place a chunk of food on a tentacle. If it eats it then give it another.
I hope it recovers for you. They're very beautiful animals.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by djessem
feeding Kent Phytoplankton and its color is till good.....whitish pink with purple tips to the tentacles

Kent Phytoplankton won't do anything directly for the anemone. Anemones will not cosume phytoplankton.
Your water levels seem fine. I would let the sebae roam around the tank until it finds a suitible location. You may want to start feeding Krill, Squid, Clams, etc. to the anemone around 3x weekly to ensure that it is properly fed.
Your anemone has also lost all its zooxanthellae, if it is indeed white. It can regain zooxanthellae under proper conditions and proper lighting.
Take Care,
Graham