Stuck on a step, need help.

1fast300z

Hello all, I will try to keep this short and sweet. I have a 125 running and its 14 days into the fishless cycle. I added pure ammonia to the source of bacteria which I introduced from a disease free aquarium. I maintained my ammonia levels at 5 ppm untill I had detectable nitrites at which that time I cut back to half the amount. My nitrites spiked to around 4 to 5 ppm and then dropped down to 2ppm. Here is my problem, my nitrites have been stuck at 2ppm for the past 5 days. Any advice on how to get them to lower? Should I cut back completely on my ammonia in the aquarium now that its reading 0ppm or should I up the dosage on it? Any input on how to get this fishless cycle over with would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all,
-Peter

lion_crazz

I would definitely stop dosing ammonia. You have plenty of it in there. Just let the cycle do its thing.

T

toungetwster

IMO...I would just stop...and start waiting it out! Let nature do it's thing!

1fast300z

3 weeks. I am beginning to get algae growth on the bottom of my aquarium. I am about to get a puffer and how him be the only fish for a few months. The nitrites are still at 2ppm.

hot883

Originally Posted by 1fast300z
3 weeks. I am beginning to get algae growth on the bottom of my aquarium. I am about to get a puffer and how him be the only fish for a few months. The nitrites are still at 2ppm.
I would hold off on the puffer. let the tank cycle naturally. Adding a puffer now is a bad idea as the bio load from him is very high. This is the HARDEST time for newly set up tanks and their owners. No one likes to look at a empty tank. You will be far more happier in the long run with less troubles too if you just chill and wait. The algea on the bottom is a new tank thing and will go away eventually. Proper water movement is also essential to stop the diatom bloom.