Stung?

bluegirl

Ok, so I'm working in my tank today, my left arm up to my elbow in the water. I take my arm out of the tank and it's stinging, kinda like a cat scratch, I look at my arm. I have little red bumps up the inside of my arm that weren't there 20 mins ago. The look like bee stings (have a hole in the center of the bump). WTH???? Did I get stung by something? My tank has only ls and lr and hitchhikers. I know I didn't touch anything, cause I was careful, so WTH is going on?

bluegirl

Wait, I have my tank plugged into one of those GFCI outlets to prevent that kinda of thing, so I don't think that's it.

bluegirl

Don't see anything...doesn't mean there isn't anything there though. This is the first time this has happened, I've had my hands in the tank i don't know how many times. It's not burning or itching, but I still have the rash-like bumps. :notsure:

unleashed

could be a reaction to the salt water itself. run your arm under hot water as hot as you can handle without geting scalded and wash with antibacterial soap.if you had any scratches no matter how small you could get the same reaction.but you may also have a hitchiker that doesnt like to be disturbed.such as a possible fireworm.

bluegirl

thanks! i do have 2 fireworms in my tank, but i'm sure I didn't touch them, I didn't touch the lr that they live in. hmm, gonna go try that, Thanks!!

aw2

I always have a reaction when I put my arms in my tanks. Dont know why...
Even the tiniest scratch or skin irritation starts to itch/burn on my arms.
It's nothing to worry about. Wash it up with anti-bacterial soap, as unleashed suggested and you should be fine.
Happens to me every time.

birdy

I have gotten irritation from tank water before also especially if I have a scratch already.
Honestly it is safest for the tank and the human if you wear those long aqua gloves anytime you need to work in your tank, but few people do it.
If you do get stung by something, pouring white vinegar over it is usually a pretty good remedy. Bristle worms bristles come off if you put some tape over the area and pull it off.

bluegirl

ok, are you guys trying to scare me?
I ran hot water over it and it's ok, the redness is starting to fade some but the bumps are still there. I may have had scratches on my arms, but I doubt it. Next time I'll just wear gloves when working, I always have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated.

littlebuck

i haev the same thing with the salt that i use. It will last for a little bit but go away. i would suggest to wear gloves or just have to deal with it everytime. But its not a big deal.

<3thefish

Originally Posted by bluegirl
ok, are you guys trying to scare me?
I ran hot water over it and it's ok, the redness is starting to fade some but the bumps are still there. I may have had scratches on my arms, but I doubt it. Next time I'll just wear gloves when working, I always have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated.

LOL, yessss, sorry, but there are such things as sea wasp or box jellyfish. I was stung by one before on vacation, thought I was going to die

http://www.extremescience.com/DeadliestCreature.htm

mudplayerx

Go to the local veternarian and explain your situation. I'm sure they will have no problem selling a box of disposable shoulder-length gloves to you.

mikeyjer

It's the saltwater that's causing the reaction. I get the samething. One of my tank is just fish only, there's no LR in there. I still get the bumps and the redness. It's just causing irritation to your skin that's all. Just wash it with clean water and it will go away. When I'm done messing with my tanks, I would rinse my hands and arms underneath warm water and rub my hands over my arms making sure I get everything rubbed off, my arms don't go red when I do that. Some people have a more sensitive skin then others. :happyfish