stupid anemone

pat

ok so after a long time without getting anything, i got an anenome and a clown that were already together so thats cool, but the anenome CRUISES. he is in a different place every time i look, right now he is camped out on the glass, and hey if thats where he wants to be, good for him, but how do i get him to stay in one spot? maybe somewhere on the rocks where i can look at the cool part and not just the foot? i have pretty good circulation, no still water at least, but what else makes him decide where he wants to be?

pat

NAH i wont try and move him,since i started this whole thing and its my first i sorta have been letting things happen, just let nature take its course and ill just provide the basics, besides, i dont want to hurt the little feller, but when i left for work, he was sitting at the very top of the tank in the corner, right at the water level. at least i look forward to seeing where he is whenever i get home, kinda like where's waldo
[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

pat

allright then, in his wandering, will he harm any of the other corals? i have both hard and soft corals if that makes a difference.

wrigley11

Okay here is the bad news, depending on the type of anenome will depend on how bad it will hurt your corals. If it stings them long enough it will kill what ever coral it is touching. Unless that is the coral has a worse sting then the anenome. If that occurs it will move and sting something else.
I can give you a few suggestions on trying to keep the anenome still... none will work all the time.
1. Anenome usually like light so they will usually climb as high as they can, unless they are the type that like their foot in the substrate. But since your's in on the glass I guess it's trying to get as close to the light as possible. So if you can, build him a hill with somewhere for him to hide his foot.
2. They like a lot of current. I use one of those power sweeping powerheads. I think ZOO makes them. I place the PH as close to the anenome as I can. As long as the PH is moveing, make a current for it, the anenome usually does not move. Make sure the anenome does not get pulled into the PH though. Then you will have another problem.
Hope that helps....

bluewater

A moving anemone is what you get when you
buy it. It's like a fish. You can't make
it swim in one spot. It's moving because
it's not comfortable where you put it. The
only time I would try to move it, is if it
crams itself under some rock away from light
for more than 2 days. Even then, Id move the
whole rock and never try to pry it off. Not
all anemones like alot of current. Mine
like low to medium current.

pat

ok well he is all the way at the top of the glass and staying put, but he is in the corner right next to the overflow, i hope that wont be a problem. i couls re do the rockwork, actually been thinking about it, but he is in a place without a lot of current unless he is mistaken the pull of the overflow. the current should not be a problem though since i have the return from the sump at 500gph or there abouts, 2 rio 90's in the tank being deflected off the glass, and a smaller powerhead circulating through the rockwork. he also does not look as full as when i got him, and i'm beginning to worry a little, if i absolutely have to move him myself, is there a way to do it w/o hurting him, or should i let him just be where he is the most comfortable? oh yeah the clown brings him food when he eats, plus filter feeding should work, i also plan on small slices of food about once a week, so that should keep up with his dietary needs, correct? suggestions on that are more than welcome
[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

chocostar

If you want to move him its really not going to hurt him. I have had to move anenomies alot in my big tank when I move rockwork (im an anenome freak I love them). Put your hand underneath of the anenome and gently massage the foot until it releases (and it will if you massage its trunk). Then put it wherever you want (the key to getting it to stay is to move it nice and slow...) let it glide through the water, not in your hand, and wave your hand gently underneat of it to keep it in a 'current' so to speak. Get it near where you want it and gently pick him up and put him down. Mine always stay where I put them

pat

allright gang, i got good news and bad news. after re-structuring more than half of the rockwork, the ol' anenome has maybe found more premanent residence. bad news is he chose a rock COMPLETELY covered in polyps and mushrooms. even though it seems that his whole attitude and purpose in life is to piss me off, his antics are growing on me, little

[hr]
. never a dull moment. more tales from the tank as they come........

I found mine and he is doing okay i wish he would find a place to set up residence permenitly. It's good that he is growing on you though 'cause you can't get bored while it's in your tank.