stupid damsels!!!!!!!!!

eeldarb21

I just tore my whole tank apart to get out my largest blue damsel.... and a small one too.. they decided to team up on the two yellow tail damsels! Like partners in crime, i had to remove them. I tore apart the whole tank tryin to catch them and finally got them.. One of the yellow tailed damsels has it's fines all chewed up! It must of happend overnight as i did not see it this bad yesterday.
My question is: can i leave the two yellow tailed damsels in the tank 4-ever? the don't seem to be as harmful as the straight all blue damsels. Are they good with other fish?

cboyfan2020

a damsel is a damsel is a damsel. They probably are thanking you for removing the other two because they are now top dogs. Might not happen but they will probably do the same thing the other 2 were doing.

sea goblin

I think to say that "a damsel is a damsel is a damsel" might not be the most correct statment, while it is true that many are agresive by nature there is a distinct personality to the fish as well. I would not just take them out because they are a damsel, leave them in and watch them after you add any new fish. I have a yellow tail in my tank that is perfectly fine, one of my favorite fish infact. Just watch them and take them out if need be, but give them a chance.
Sea Goblin

brooklyn johnny

There is a distinction between damsels and chromis, with chromis for the most part being a peaceful fish. If I were you I would remove the yellow-tails too while you have the tank torn apart, as they will be okay for a while, but usually as the damsels mature they become problems. I personally enjoy seeing a peaceful tank to relax to, and damsels will eventually become aggresive to at least a little degree, and that turns "looking at my tank relaxing" to "swearing at damsels"! :D

aftrhrs

I have two yellowtail damsels and they are very peaceful. If anything my yellow tang is the one causing the problems. He is top dog and if the other fish don't run when he comes near he tries to nail them with his spikes.

islandgirl

I have 2 yellow tail damsels myself and they seem quite docile. I got 2 percs recently and the yellow tails actually seem intimidated by the clowns...quite funny actually. I agree with Sea Goblin...watch them and use your best judgement. Hopefully the little guy's fins will grow back soon :eek:

brooklyn johnny

Just give em time... it's in their nature as they mature for their territories to grow, and I remember from when I worked in high school at an aquarium shop if I had a nickel for every returned damsel... on a side note the yellow tailed guys are not as bad as some of the others... you could keep em in there as juveniles, but I think eventually you'll be wishing they were gone... any diver could attest to the feistiness of mature damsels on a reef...