Stupid newb question

What exactly are nitrates....i don't know much about the stuff your all talking about and suprisingly enough, my tank hasn't died of .....yet (fingers crossed)

cnlight

Nitrates are a beneficial bacteria that is a byproduct after ammonia and nitrites have been depleted. In other words, when your tank has ammonia(which can be from fish waste, food, starting up a new tank and others) it goes way up and then nitrites take over to eat the ammonia and bring it down, then another bacteria comes in and that is nitrates to bring down the nitrite. Ammonia and nitrites are harmful to your fish, but nitrates aren't nearly as bad.

jp0379

Welcome! As for as nothing dying, congrats! Hopefully you don't have much else other than damsels, because if your tank is newly setup, once that cycle kicks in you're going to stand a good chance of losing fish.
I'd RUN to the bookstore and get "Saltwater Fish for Dummies". Dont' worry about the title, its a GREAT source of info for newbies and vets alike. Unless, of course, you're just too cool to buy something with that name.......
And by the way.....you need to worry about NitrItes more than NitrAtes. The book will explain how and why.

dreeves

Nitrate is a negatively charged ion and is the 3rd stage of a Nitrogen cycle...4th and last is the byproduct of consumed Nitrate, Nitrogen.
Ammonia->Nitrite->Nitrate->Nitrogen

yes i have 2 percula clowns in addition to a CBS, anemone and sally L-foot.
I try to keep my ammonia levels in check with ammonia testing and adding stuff to neutralize it.
How long does it take to cycle for a 10 gallon...i'm 3 weeks into running my tank right now.

T

therock0861

You will probably lose the anemone when the tank does finally cycle though. Take it back to the store before it dies. What convinced you to get livestock during the cycle? IMO you are flirting with a disaster.

beaslbob

Originally posted by DefntleyMaybe79
yes i have 2 percula clowns in addition to a CBS, anemone and sally L-foot.
I try to keep my ammonia levels in check with ammonia testing and adding stuff to neutralize it.
How long does it take to cycle for a 10 gallon...i'm 3 weeks into running my tank right now.

My first salt tank was a 10g in the late 70's. I ran it fishless for 3 weeks added a single flake of fish food and a week later the entire tank was clouded over to the point you could not see through it. After another week of runing a corner filter with carbon it cleared up. I then added a neon gobie.
to answer the original question nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. An ion and a plant food.
While setting up that first tank I measured nitrItes (the second product of the nitrogen cycle). Bout 3 days after adding the fish they pegged the test kit and stayed that way for another two weeks. I stopped feeding the fish and in three days nitrItes started dropping and dropped to 0 on the fifth day.
How long does it tank to cycle an tank. Depends on how much bacteria you have, the bioload, and how much plant life you have. From my experience, I now do not feed my cycle fish for a week.
Ammonia blocks or other additives are not needed.
Nitrates are plant food. After they rise you will get algae. the only way to avoid that is by adding plant life. If you add plant life right from the start then the cycle is reduced. Plants also consume ammonia.

dacia

It seems to me that a product added to the water to reduce ammonia levels before the cycle is complete would only lengthen the time needed for the bacteria to complete the cycle...it is taking away the food that the bacteria need to live and grow.
I agree that using the additives is not a good idea.
There's really no set time frame for how long a cycle will take. All systems are different, even though the process is the same. I cycled my 20 gallon tank in 7 weeks, whereas my 30 gallon only took 2 weeks. Adding some live rock or live sand may speed up the process, but I would stay away from chemical additives.

Aquariums for Dummies has a ton of great info. The only downside is that there aren't very many illistrations. Also a book called the Complete Aquarium has a lot of great info and illistrations! Hope these will help.
-BlueYellowTang

i have 4 shaving brushes in the tank as well....i've probably reduced the cycle because i just added LS. I have been told that despite the fact that i have my tank cycling, I can ammolock to my tank to neutralize the toxins in Ammonia and not disrupt the cycle.
Thanks for the help