STUPID PEOPLE!!

antwon

heyy just thought ide let you guys and girls know: i just saw this video where these tour group in bahamas leads an expedition where they kill and eat lionfish. okay i dont know what it is called just type in killing lionfish on youtube.com. these was really horrible they killed like twenty of them. don't get me wrong i do like to fish but first of all these are reef creatures and just because they are an invasive species doesn't mean you have to kill everyone you happen to see and second why would you eat a venomous fish it just doesnt make sense to me. IMO this is extremely inhumane

hunt

IMO, thats life, at least they ate the fish instead of just killing them for no reason

jackri

I think you should know why they are killing them -- it's not to be inhumane but they aren't native to the area and are wiping out the native species. Hurricanes/etc have made it possible for these species to enter the local waters and populate taking food supply, habitat and are preying on local species. It's like what carp do to our rivers and waterways and are threatening the Great Lakes systems next.
Isn't it cool what we can do by having pretty pets in our homes?

btldreef

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3282536
I think you should know why they are killing them -- it's not to be inhumane but they aren't native to the area and are wiping out the native species. Hurricanes/etc have made it possible for these species to enter the local waters and populate taking food supply, habitat and are preying on local species. It's like what carp do to our rivers and waterways and are threatening the Great Lakes systems next.
You beat me to it! These fish are ruining their waters, that's why they're being killed. At least they're being eaten and not just thrown away.

S

saxman

actually, from what i've heard, and if they're anything like our local "rockfish" (also a scorp), they're quite tasty. better to get some good out of them instead of simply killing them.
of course, if they want to send me a few our tanx....

srfisher17

Fish markets in Indonesia are full of blue face angels and similar fish. Anthias are often used as bait. BTW, venomous is not the same as poisonous, a lions venom is not transmitted through the flesh and it doesn't have poisonous organs like many puffers. Folks eat rattlesnake all the time. On a moral level, i see no difference between eating a lionfish and the tuna in my lunch. (Tuna are gorgeous fish, too!.) Doing the reef a favor and getting a meal at the same time; sounds like win-win to me. Now, if people would just take a liking to all the feral cats in this country that destroy wildlife.....

antwon

I'm not trying to sound rude in any way but what are lionfish doing to the reef I read that they eat other smaller fish obviously but most of us eat other animals I like to enjoy a good burger once in a while those are made of cows and there r plenty of those left oh and what r feral cats??

btldreef

You enjoying a burger and these fish eating smaller fish are not the same. They're not native to the reefs where they're being hunted. They're upsetting the natural life of the reef and in essence, playing a hand in killing it. Think of it like the African Bees that we're desperately trying to keep from spreading further north in the USA, or a hunter/poacher having free rane on a wildlife preserve. This isn't lionfish having an occiasional snack, it's lionfish eating all the young fry (baby fish) before they have a chance to mature and help sustain the reef.
Feral cats are wild cats.

antwon

ok i can understand more i just dont like when i see beautiful animals die, you know what i mean? i do fish however which is ironic

jackri

Your heart is in the right place, but unfortunately this happens a lot when man gets involved with moving nature around.

sepulatian

Very true. This is what happens when people buy animals that they cannot care for when they grow to their true size. They get dumped in the wild, which upsets the natural ballance. It is true for many other animals as well. Look at the snake problem in Florida...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3284340
Very true. This is what happens when people buy animals that they cannot care for when they grow to their true size. They get dumped in the wild, which upsets the natural ballance. It is true for many other animals as well. Look at the snake problem in Florida...
Yep. And this may upset some folks, but this is also why its legal (under certain conditions) to shoot feral cats in SD & MN. These cats are the surplus of irresponsible owners and really raise hell with native wildlife, especially ground nesting birds; like ruffed grouse, whippoorwills, and pheasants (not a native species either) Wisconsin almost passed a similar law a while back, but was vetoed.