Stupid question...but I'm new!!

jeffreyyy

I was just wondering where you guys have your power strips located. I was thinking under the stand but do you have them screwed to you stand or just sitting under your stand?
I know this is a very basic question but I was wondering the best location.
Thank you for you time and input,
Jeff

mine is under the stand definitely not the safest spot because i've had water spill there numerous times when i was setting up my tank and had to quickly shut it off lol
i too would like to know where a good spot for the strip would be

T

tizzo

Mines just sitting under the tank in the stand, but that's temporary. I am gonna rig up some sort of outa the way contraption with a drip loop that will house all my timers and plugs and still be outa my way...

As soon as I can think of how...

spiked09

I would suspend it somehow. One skrew or a thumb tack up high on your stand and a pce of string will do it.

T

tizzo

And just so you know...
Anything that lets us geeks talk about our fish/corals/QT tanks/tank or stand or anything included...
IS NOT A STUPID QUESTION!

nano reefer

mine is screwed onto the desk under the tank. good spot, and water cant get it.
my friend on the other hand, has alll of his stuff on labeled switches in a "fuse box" kind of thing. you open the door and the switches are labeled "skimmer, main pump, heaters, etc..." It is so cool.

michaeltx

mine is hanging on the wall with a drip loop so if by chance water gets by it wont get to the plugs.
I also have a fire extigusher sitting close by the tank just in case!!
Mike

sepulatian

Wherever you put it make sure that it is raised up. Salt creep can and will go down the wire into the outlets if you are not careful.

metweezer

A GFCI is a must. So in the case of any water leak everything will be shut down immediately. Once you have a GFCI powerstrip or dedicated outlet then you can worry about location and drip loops, etc.
P.S. The only stupid question is the one you keep to yourself and don't share with this forum.

jeffreyyy

Thanks everyone for your placement/input. The fuse box set sound awesome and I wish I was able to do something like that but I'd probably either burn down the house or fry myself.

This site is the best and everyone on here rocks!!

I also like the wall mount with the loop that way if my tank does spring a leak it away from the electric outlets. But, like Weezer says if I have the GFCI outlet installed it shouldn't matter where the power outlet is located because that would shut everything down if it did get any water splashed on it.
Thanks again and keep'em coming!!
Jeff

notsonoob

When it is finished, as with anymore I put in. It will be prewired with waterproof boxes, cable connectors, off of a GFCI outlet attached to the stand. All you will need is to run a double male end heavy duty extension cord (home-made of course).
You never know where you have to move, or where you may have to move your tank...

socal57che

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2575680
mine is hanging on the wall with a drip loop so if by chance water gets by it wont get to the plugs.
I also have a fire extigusher sitting close by the tank just in case!!
Mike
Is that in case the stray voltage doesn't affect the tank, the plume of chemicals will?

J/K
Originally Posted by metweezer

http:///forum/post/2575737
A GFCI is a must. So in the case of any water leak everything will be shut down immediately. Once you have a GFCI powerstrip or dedicated outlet then you can worry about location and drip loops, etc.

uberlink

Take the drip loop advice seriously. I had a tank in my office for a while, carelessly without drip loops. A hang on tank filter started to leak one night and water ran down into the powerstrip, which promptly burst into flames. Fortunately, someone happened to be working late and found it/unplugged it. I shudder to think what might have happened if that hadn't been the case! So mount the power strip fairly high and make sure that the power cords run down below the power strip and back up to it.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by uberlink
http:///forum/post/2576152
Take the drip loop advice seriously. I had a tank in my office for a while, carelessly without drip loops. A hang on tank filter started to leak one night and water ran down into the powerstrip, which promptly burst into flames. Fortunately, someone happened to be working late and found it/unplugged it. I shudder to think what might have happened if that hadn't been the case! So mount the power strip fairly high and make sure that the power cords run down below the power strip and back up to it.
something alone these lines.
this is not my tank though.
Mike

Wow after seeing that i'm wondering if my stuff is all hooked up properly. Gees. I think i'm giong to do some research and re arrange my stuff. YIKES

scopus tang

Yeah!
Wow! Glad mine only went this far;

That was costly enough thank you! Can't imagine have the whole tank burn down.

socal57che

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2576576
something alone these lines.
this is not my tank though.
Mike
Where I come from we call that a fish fry!

Lucky the house didn't burn down, taking half the neighborhood with it.
That's like taking your dog for a drive then setting the car on fire with him locked inside.