Stupidist Problem!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'm going to break down and throw this one out to you all, cause my aggrevation is now greater than my embarrassment at asking this......
There is a light green glass algae that grows in spots on my front glass that just WON'T come off. I tried the magnet cleaner. I've tried the ProScraper with the medal scraper, I've even tried my finger nails and I just can't get it off! Not even scraping it with my nails!
Any suggestions? I was thinking about a real razor blade. However, that will be quite a task since it is all over the front of the glass [in patches]. Its very light green, too...I kind need to be looking thru the tank to see where it is to scrape, so I can't really think of how I can get my arm holding a razor blade down to the bottom of the tank while still looking thru the glass. I guess I can get my long armed son to help me out, but I don't even know if the razor will do the job.
Anybody get this kinda algae on their front glass?
Anybody with very long arms want to volunteer to clean my glass?? Suggestions plez. :confused:

T

thomas712

Beth- I use a 3 inch plastic paint scraper with the 3 inch razorblade that I bought at Kmart. The razor does not last long in saltwater so to make it last alittle longer rinse it in fresh water and dry immediatly.
Thomas

nacl-h2o

I usually use an old credit card but I've found things from time to time that require a razor blade. That may be your only recourse.
And I would run right over there and take care of that for you, but that 24hr round trip is a killer. You'll have to wait until I go on vacation.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I knew that would be the ans...but just wondered if any of you all had come up with some other way of dealing with it.
I'll go look for a big razor!

I thought when the tank got dirty, you bought another one :D :D :D j/k The wife is watching 90210 reruns and that Ian Zeiring character just made the comment about buying a new car when the oil got dirty. Sorry :D

cap'n pete

Beth,
A razor will do the job. Just be careful, it can scratch glass (I know, I've done it). Rinse thouroughly after your done and dry right away or just throw it away.

jonthefb

i too am a big fan of teh blade, especially when tackling the tough littel sucker your batteling!
good luck
jon

broomer5

Beth,
I get that hard to remove "Spring-Green" algae growth on my tanks too. It's almost like a hard leather, will not come off with anything other than a razor.
I prefer to use the small razors. Home Depot sells a small plastic handled razor blade holder - that the razor snaps into.
It's perfect size for removing this green growth, and is easy to control. Larger razor's are hard to get into the small areas - normally just at the sandbed's edge, and near the silicone seams.
As you know - you'll want to pay close attention when scraping near the seams :eek:
In my 75 - I have this stuff almost completley covering the back tank glass wall - with some patchy coralline mixed in.
I leave it grow back there - but do remove it on the front/sides now and then.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
broomer, I knew you'd come up with the perfect devise. I will chcek HD out ASAP!
I bought a hobby tool which is the Pro Scaper, I believe. I got the medal attachment thinking it was a razor, but it is not. It will cut throught everything else, even coraline, but that light green stuff just will not come off!
Thanks all for your ideas! Glad to know that I can get this stuff off. I was about to resort to using finger nail polish remover! :eek:

hairtrigger

I agree with Broom. At the LFS I used to work at, we had that crap everywhere. Now, I feel odd trying to advise a shark, but, we used razor blades plain and simple. Took it off no problem. Pain in the a$$, but it got rid of the stuff. :cool:

jmesmcm

I use a combination of the Kent scraper with a fresh razor blade in it and if it is really stubborn I use a doodle bug pad which is white colored abrasive pad made by 3M, part number 08440 which is safe on glass, fiberglass, and plastic. It definately takes some rubbing but unless you get sand on the pad it will not scratch.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The Kent scrapper really isn 't a razor, though,. When I bought that, I thought I was getting a razor, and it is not. Its just a medal edged scaper, but it is not sharp.

broomer5

A plain old single sided razor blade will work fine too.
I just like having the snap in handle - it's allows you to "angle" the blade and gives you a firm grasp when working with it, especially when you have your arm all the way down into the bottom of the tank.
I only mess with this every few months - otherwise the MagFloat takes care of most typical light growth.

almarktool

Beth,
I f i do recall u have a bow front tank just make sure if u use a razor or metal of any type u go left to right to reduce the chance of scratching