substraite question

fishamajig

well this is an interesting question and im sure you will get a bunch of varying opinions. I would have to say that the majority of people would say a sand bottom. This will be some sort of carribean sand variety., If you got the $$$ you should go with the live sand. it can be a bit pricey but you can add all the goodies right away. the bed should be pretty thick, mine is about 3 1/2 inches. you also might hear people talk about a bare bottom cause it is cleaner and there are certain advantages to it but i personally dont like that look for the tank and some of my fish like to burrow in the sand. The only advice I can assure you is that crushed coral makes it really hard to keep the tank clean and free of nitrates and this is critical in a reef tank so you want to go with something that is east to maintain, looks good, and makes your critters and your fish happy. there are going to be plenty of other things to worry about besides cleaning your substrate. I am a reefer newbie and I am learning step by step. I dont want you to make the same mistake as me or some of the other peple i know. good luck post some pics with your progress

blazehok68

i have a dsb right now in my 55 but my next tank is gonna be bare bottom. just a cleaner look and easier to keep clean, i also think it would look cool with zoos and mushrooms growing on the bottom