substrate for aggressive setup....help plz

despot101

I was thinkin on using a dsb in my new 75gal bowfront but i have heard the snowflake eel i want and dwarf lion will mess it up. what other options do I have for substrate? I will be using live rock about 90lbs..and a bak pak protein skimmer....thanks alot also if I dont use a dsb will I need additional filtration?

mark-24

A dsb is a deep sand bed, generally refering to 3" to 4" of ls/ dry sand. The only down fall with having a dsb instead of crushed coral is that the substrate is much finer which makes it more difficult to syphon. But with ls, you don't need to worry a lot about detruis causing nitrates because it will offset alot of nitrates. My vote, and own personal choice if live sand. It is all around the best substrate for any marine fish tank. If possible look use Southdown Tropical Play sand if you can still find it.
-Mark

ozzfan84

i have alotta triggers, so I use both. I put dsb around almost all of my tank, but cc under any base or live rock. This lets the triggers dig under the rock, and it wont sink into the hole. The cc seems to support it better. That tecnique might help for the eel in your case

wrigley11

No matter what substarte you use, make sure that any rock structure in placed on tht bottom of the tank. Don't just put rock on top of your substrate.
I know people have said that they have never had a problem. But why risk killing fish or scratching the tank when the rocks come crashing down. I always put the rock on the tank bottom and then fill in the substarte. To this day I have never had issues with falling rock.
Hope that helps.