Substrate in a hyposalinity tank?

billyv

After listening to the chior preach about the nessesity of having a hospital tank, I went out and bought a really nice 26 gallon All-Glass bow front tank and stand to set up as a hospital tank. It's a really nice set up, and I want it to look nice in my home. I am planning to do a hypo-salinity treatment to get rid of an outbreak of ick, and from what I'm reading here on the board, I shouldn't have any substate in my hospital tank. My question is this, I know that substrate isn't recommended, but can I get away with it? I'd also appricate any information on how to set my new 26 gallon tank using water from my existing reef tank to avoid a cycle. Any info on hypo-salinity would also be appriciated. Thanks!

fshhub

no matter what you do, there will be a cycle
even if you use existing rock and water, but using an old filter(recently removed forom you main tank) will help, and IMO, you could have some subsrate, but it could also lesen the effectiveness of meds, so if you do i would keep it minimal
<a href="https://www.saltwaterfish.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001156" target="_blank">read this</a> thread by mrtang, it goes into detail on hypo
HTh