Substrate options

j21kickster

What do you think-im converting my 20 into a 20 long and i was thinking bare bottom to cut down on detritus build up and just allow my zoanthids and GSP cover it all- or just a thin layer of sand- i have a DSB now and it is a payne- there is too much buildup deep at the bottom- it will only get worse- i have plenty of liverock to sustain my microfauna- im just not sure- im leaning to a bare bottom

justinx

I personally didnt vote, but my opinion is that bare bottom tanks look unnatural. As far as covering the bottom with corals . . . . well, just find 64IVY and ask him how it turned out. I think that sand on the bottom is a necessity IMO. Shallow or deep. I have a shallow sand bed and it works quite well IMO.
Jusitn

j21kickster

i think i will just put a thin layer of my live sand in the bottm of the new 20 and place a powerhead in the back under the rocks to reduce detritus bulidup

krishj39

I voted bare bottom, let corals grow over it. I don't know if that is the smartest choice, but I think it would be cool to see how it worked out. Certainly a tank with a bottom covered by coral would be pretty cool looking.

overanalyzer

I voted a thin layer - I think if I was re-doing my 20 tall I would do a thin layer so I would have more room. I think barebottom would look cool if it was totally covered with something .... but then you could not re-arrange your rock wihtout crushing your coral.