Substrate

pursuit

I am planning on adding a 2-3" sand substrate and after reading alot of posts on this figured the smaller the size the better but when I saw the bag for caribsea aragonite it states at the bottom of the bag that it is for shallow beds. I know I am not going to really have a DSB but some guy at the LFS said I should go with a larger size grain with the depth I want. The other sand I also was looking into was Acrotopic Pure Oolitic Aragonite which is also a very small grain. All along I planned on using Southdown playsand but now that I am ready to go I can't find it anywhere. Can I ignore the warning on the bottom of the bag for caribsea aragonite and use the finer sand?

timsedwards

Hi there,
Im not an expert on the subject, but to add my .02c, i would suggest a mixture of two different size grains is good. A really fine aragonite is good with a slightly bigger grain. The sand dwellers will love just churning it up for you :)
Tim.

pursuit

Thanks for the reply Tim. Maybe what I'll try is fine sand with a bag on live sand on top of it.