SUBSTRATE

WHEN I FIRST SETUP MY TANK I HAD A REGULAR SAND BASE. I'VE SINCE ADDED CRUSHED CORAL WHICH IS LOOKS GREAT BUT A PROBLEM. SO I HAVE A MIXTURE OF THE TWO.
WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE CC AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I COULD MIX LIVE SAND IN WITH THE REGULAR SAND?

viking

some kind of wide hole net would work best the hole are just small enough to catch the CC but still big enough to let the sand pass.
and yes you can mix the live sand with regular sand. Thats whats called seeding. After a while all your sand will be live sand. You can also get a large amount of live rock and normal dead sand and the same thing will happen.

reefgirl

If you're wanting to add live sand, & have sand already in there, you're ok just adding the new sand (as long as it's not just dumped in thick layers). The crushed coral does not have to be removed...The critters that make the sand 'live' usually require different sized substrate particles, so leave it in.

reefgirl

If you're wanting to add live sand, & have sand already in there, you're ok just adding the new sand (as long as it's not just dumped in thick layers). The crushed coral does not have to be removed...The critters that make the sand 'live' usually require different sized substrate particles, so leave it in.