Substrate

fish_guy5

When I started my tank 7 months ago(FOWLR), someone suggested using crushed coral as the substrate. I regret that now. I want to switch to a reef sand or aragonite substrate. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this without disrupting the biological filter bed? Any suggestions would be great....I'm not sure exactly how I should start this.

T

thomas712

Your bacteria will remain on the rocks, also any mechanical filtration you have.
Several threads about how to do the switch. I suggest the search function. If you have any problems with it let me know.
Thomas

turningtim

Fishguy, I did the switch a couple of weeks ago (50g). It's worth it! LR and filter handled the bio-load. Lots of info on this site. I just moved everything into (12) buckets (water,fish,LR) took water down to CC level, took out CC and put sand in. Carfully put back (old) water not to make a sandstorm. Did a 25% WC. No problems. I have seen threads were you can do it w/o taking everthing out.
Good Luck!

fish_guy5

thanks for the info. I know its definitely going to be a pain to do, but I think it will all be worth it once its finished.

tank1483

I changed over to ls frm cc about a month ago, and i tell you it makes a HUGE difference, both in appearance and maintenance. I changed it over when i did my 20-25% wtaer change, i just moved everything to one side, scooped out the cc then did the same thing to the other side, then i added the ls to each side. took abotu 2 hours total

fish_guy5

I may try it that way. I'd rather not remove everything if I can avoid it. I'm about due for a water change anyway, so I'll probably give it a shot over the next day or two.