substrate

maxweljames

I know how much everybody loves crushed coral for substrate<lol> But I got a bit of extra cc and was wondering what the effect would be if I used it in a freshwater tank. Cleaned extremely good to get any salt residue off of course.

T

thomas712

Well I don't suppose that you would need any of the so called buffering power of the crushed coral, it is more porous than your basic gravel though and therefore would not clean as easy as your other freshwater substrates. Crushed coral would still trap the fish waste and uneaten food, more so than the smooth gravel would
Just my opinion
Thomas

michaeltx

not a god idea unless its chiclids or higher PH thriving fish. the CC will raise the PH of the water to 8.+ in freshwater for some reason it buffers really good LOL I lost some of my fish cause I figured same size nice white within a few days of adding fish they were all dead from the high PH.
FWIW
Mike

maxweljames

do you think a ph stabalizing product would work with it or do you think that it would be a recurring problem? I use proper ph 8.2 in my reef tank and it is right on the money but I have never tried the 7.5 or 7.0 for freshwater.

fshhub

not much, the cc would break down, increasing your ph naturally, by raising your alk which would make it difficult to keep the PH down.

lesleybird

I always had fresh water tanks as a kid and all the books said not to put any coral or shells into fresh water as it would make it too hard and raise the ph too high for them. Don't do it if you are smart. Lesley