Successful Collecting Trip

mattiej

One of the sharpnoses was donated to the aquarium for a research project a friend is working on. The other three are not for sale and are doing very well in the pool. It is a cool site to see all six sharks cruising the circumference of the pool. I am lucky in that the bonnets are male and female, so we'll see what happens in a few years.
Sorry but have had a family emergency so wasn't able to get pics up on my new site but I promise they will be up tomorrow night.
I make my own salt mix and occasionally supplement it with water changes of Oceanic mix.

requiem

What do you use to make the salt mix, and how do you, do you use non id salt or salt you use in the water softner
Thanks, Stalter

condork12

I gurantee you that he is not going to tell you what the ingredients are. If he knows something he either figured it out himself or he has worked for a company that prohibited him to sell the salt or tell the recipe.

mattiej

The recipe I have used can be found in Martin Moe's first book on marine aquariums. It really isn't some trade secret or some big mystery. Cincy is correct I have posted the recipe in another topic so all you have to do is a search for "home made salt recipe". I have never worked for a manufacturer and am not under any forbiddence to give the recipe. Since my pool is 18000 gallons I use my own formula to save some bucks. Just about all of the ingredients can be found at your local hardware/home improvement store.

mattiej

My Salt Mix Recipe
25 gallon Mix
NaCl2350 g
MgCl500 g
MgSO4400 g
CaCl2110 g
Kcl66 g
NaHCO320 g
SrCl22 g
Kent Marine Essential Elements1 capful
Sources:
NaClsolar salt, water softener salt
MgCl2magnesium chloride ice melter at most Home Depots
MgSO4Epsoms salt at any grocery or drug store
CaCl2another ice melter
KClsolar salt that is called pipe safe again at Home Depot
NaHCO3baking soda
SrCl2Kent Marine Turbo Strontium
The Kent Marine Essential is just to round out the mix and can be substituted with any full spectrum additive

condork12

i guesss i was wrong because i didnt think that there were any recipes out in books or anything. Does that formula make 25 gallons of saltwater or 25gallons of salt?

mattiej

The above measures will yield about 25 gallons of salt water.
requiem, I saw that the mods got you in the other posts but I was wondering if you could send those links to me thru email. I am always looking for good suppliers of sharks. My email is hallmj@att.net. Thanks

condork12

mattie- iknow a guy who lives in painsville, ohio (near you) he can just abouit get anything and for cheap too. he has divers all around the world. if you give me your email i can give it to him and he will email you. he has a pool just like you.

mattiej

Sorry actually I was replying to condork about the supplier in Ohio. As I said, I am always looking for decent and reliable suppliers. Requiem thanks for the email and the links when I get home I'll have to take a look at them.

requiem

Could you give me the email for the ohio supplier mattiej.
Thanks Stalter
PS
I think he has an ---- site