Such thing as "cheap" base rock?

h2oengr

C'mon now. I just bought a $60 LR last weekend and boy was my wife pissed! It's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, all kinds of crevices, tiny feather dusters, all kinds of purple.
BUT, there's got to be some sort of alternative for this base rock stuff. I've been told not to use the coquina from the east coast beaches of FL, I've been told no lava rock in a recent post at SWF.
IS there ANY alternative base rock? Thanks. :confused:

T

thomas712

Do a search on HI rocks, or check out ---- and do a search on baserock or base rock.
Thomas

droth335

Here's the link to Hi rocks....I've bought from them for base rock for both my 125 & my 180 and have been pleased. Economical way to get base rock and it gets "live" in your tank.
Sorry no links policy

flydan

Hey,
Lava rock could have lots of metals in it that's why it isn't safe in a sw tank. Around here they sell "Tufa" rock and "Lace" rock, both of which are good because they don't displace to much water. (They aren't super dense.) Any exposed base rock will become lr in time.
HTH,
Dan'l

doris

I'll give you a link to the base rock man if you want to email me...doris ...close enough to take a weekend drive for your choice of mega rock.