Sufficient lighting

csgoalie

I'm 6 weeks into my FOWLR tank (29 gal tall) and I have decided that I really want to go into corals. I do not have sufficient lighting and due to space concerns above the tank I am concerned about going to Halide. I am thinking that either T5 or PCs are the way to go. I've seen some PC systems for sale on ---- for about 60 bucks ranging from 65 W to 130 W. Would this be sufficient for corals? Any advice appreciated.

mkzimms

depends on what type of corals. if your doing only softies then PC is fine but anything else you will need T5HO or better. i would recommend going with T5HO so you have the ability to do what you want later. you'll really want something with individual reflectors like the nova extreme pro or tek fixtures. they are a little costly but you will definitely be happy with them and will have the light you need to keep whatever you want.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2712265
depends on what type of corals. if your doing only softies then PC is fine but anything else you will need T5HO or better. i would recommend going with T5HO so you have the ability to do what you want later. you'll really want something with individual reflectors like the nova extreme pro or tek fixtures. they are a little costly but you will definitely be happy with them and will have the light you need to keep whatever you want.

If you can't afford T5 and decide to go PC you still have choices. All softies as mentioned and a few LPS that have to be positioned up high. Personally I have yet to fall in love with SPS but you never know.

sickboy

What's the space under your tank? I only have 4" under my canopy, but I have a Sundial T5HO that fits in there on my 38 gallon. It has 156 watts and doesn't hardly raise my temp. It cost around $200.

stanlalee

I kept everything but SPS (no limitations on LPS or placement 18" deep tank) with two pc bulbs across the tank (one daylight and one actinic bulb). The way pc are abandoned and so cheap its an ideal way to get into corals. by the time your ready for SPS and need an upgrade (if you ever even want to. many find them boring. only fun part for me is the fast growth) that $50 to 60 is money well spent. that light can be a fuge light or quarantine light if you upgrade to a bigger tank which is almost inevitable. Of course you can also just go full throttle and get a quality T5 or MH and never have to buy a light for the tank again. either approaches aint bad.

csgoalie

Thanks to all for the responses. Sickboy, this tank is in a built in wall unit and there is 6" of clearance between the tank top and the next shelf, so I am worried about trapped heat.
I think Stanalee has me pegged. I'll probably jump to a 70-100 gallon tank down the road and then I'll be looking for a lighting system that is bigger than 24" in any event. I can't buy something bigger now because it wouldn't fit in the wall unit presently.
I'd rather spend the money there, and later..

crazy4reefs

I have a 20 gallon tall tank with an Coralife Aqualight Advanced Series Hang-on Tank Mount fixture. here is the spec's-
Hang-on tank HQI metal halide fixture
*150 watt 14,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp
*External HQI metal halide ballast with on/off switch
*12-foot lamp cord and 6-foot power cord.
*Three points of articulation for multiple lighting positions Sleek, anodized black-aluminum housing with ventilation grill.
*Highly-polished reflector
*Built-in cooling fan
*Glass HQI lens cover
*Heavy-duty mounting bracket
I love this light and hardly takes up any room at all. They give you the choice of different brands of bulbs but they are all 14k. The good thing is they now offer the Pheonix 14k. I do not have that one but I plan on getting it soon, I have heard a lot of good things about it. One more thing I like about this fixture is it leaves the top of the tank open, there is plenty of room for me to work in my tank without having to take the lights off. the fixture runs about $225 but I think its worth it. I can keep anything under this light. Hope this helps.

shiby1510

Originally Posted by csgoalie
http:///forum/post/2712726
I think Stanalee has me pegged. I'll probably jump to a 70-100 gallon tank down the road and then I'll be looking for a lighting system that is bigger than 24" in any event. I can't buy something bigger now because it wouldn't fit in the wall unit presently.
I'd rather spend the money there, and later..

Not exactly true... you could retrofit the T5's later to work with a bigger tank... not saying the pc's are bad... just giving you more to think about.

csgoalie

Well, I managed to swing a 110W PC for $29 bucks. Can't go wrong, and if I decide to move to a bigger tank, it will have t5 HO or Halide. Now, I just have to be patient for it to arrive, and for the tank to get used to the new lighting.
Also got the coralife digital timer last week. I would absolutely recommend this product to new hobbyists.

aquaguy24

if ur upgrading soon,less then a year, save ur money for the next tank and just keep ur current tank fish only for now..u will have a lot more money saved up when its time to get a bigger tank..u;ll need to tranfer all the stuff from ur old tank if u upgrade soon and thats just more of a hassle when transferring all the coral ur gonna buy for the small tank...but if ur not upgrading anytime soon..i'd go with t5's with individual reflectors...or even a HQI 150w pendent for around $200.