Suggested clean up crew for 29 gal tank?

pensky

What are some suggestion for a clean up crew in a 29gal tank be running for 3 months.
40# LS
10# LR
skimmer
heater
power head
Penguin bio wheel filter
pink tip enemone
Choc chip star
2 clown
yellow tang ( i have a 55 to go to very soon)
Nitrates are starting to climb
any suggestions??

D

dizzy1831

I do not know a whole lot, but I suggest hermit crabs and snails. Maybe even a sally light foot or emerald crab

D

dizzy1831

I am not sure. We have a 75 gallon and we have quite a few Hermit crabs and snails. Our LFS guy suggested about 15 of each to us. Be careful with the snails only certain ones can turn themselves back over. We just bought about 6 new snails because our hermit crabs attack them and take their shells. Ask at your LFS or browse the internet. Sometimes you can find sites that sell clean-up crews to get an idea for how many. Also the sally light foots and emerald crabs shed their whole shell sometimes so get the shell out but that does not mean their dead.

pensky

I found A site that sell 3 different cleaning crew packages.
Reef pack

6 supper tongan nassarius
12 Cerith snails
8 trochus snails
10 Scarlet hermit
Algea Attack Pack

5 scalet
10 mexico turbo snails
20 dwarf red tip hermit
Detritus Attack Pack[B/]
1 facey serpent star
1 sand sifting star
1 sea cucumber or tiger tail
I am using tap water right now but plan to start using dionized from wal-mart for water changes.
I will be buying all the item seperatly so i can mix and match or totally change any suggestion?

pensky

I want to purchase some of these critters in the morning and I don't know what combo i should get!!:notsure: :help: :help:

beagle31

if its three months u dont want to go out and buy a lot becuse u dont really have that much waste lying around in the tank haveing nitrate is a good thing just do water changes if ure getting hair alge and stuff like that then go get a couple of hermits and snails( i use turbos) and see how they do if they get rid of ure algea then ure good to go
i hope this helped

axionjaxon

more LR definitely. I, too, am new, but from what i hear, they will help with your nitrate prob. I really love my emerald crab. He grubs down on my green and brown algae, as well as the nasty red stuff and he tore thru my hair algae first nite i put him in. im lookin at gettin a fish that will sift thru my sand (suggestions?)

guineawhop

if you buy the packages above i'd buy the second package algae attack. the third one is a bad idea especially the cucumber.

pensky

thank for the help I have decided to go with a small clean up crew for now(just 5 bumble bee snails) becasue you are right i do not have much algee growth but i will invest in a lot more live rock
thanks
everyone