Suggestion for SWF

premilove

to tell you the truth, i got zoas once from someone..they never opened up. that was the last time i bought zoas online. i have sharkbait9 for my local transactions

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by CoralJunkie
http:///forum/post/2843990
So how bout an area that is restricted to trading only?

Actually, it started out that way when we first opened the Classified section. It was "TRADE ONLY". However, it was abused, and many sellers still got in. It took a lot of moderating to try and enforce the trade only policy. And frankly, most mods don't want to spend so much of our time on that kind of stuff.
Blame those who abused th original purpose of the classified forums we once had.

fats71

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2844176
Actually, it started out that way when we first opened the Classified section. It was "TRADE ONLY". However, it was abused, and many sellers still got in. It took a lot of moderating to try and enforce the trade only policy. And frankly, most mods don't want to spend so much of our time on that kind of stuff.
Blame those who abused th original purpose of the classified forums we once had.
Why would going back to a trade only be an issue ? I am certain people such as most above would not mind becoming moderators. They do not require pay but would do it to see a forum they love dearly stay up and running with the same ol same ol. I know I have gone to the other large site an I can not stand it honestly this was the place for me. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time. i HAVE purchased several hundred dollars worth of items as you can check from swf.com and will again in the near future as shipping costs are going down. I know their is a lot of people who would be responsible and respectful in moderating me not being one of them as I am just not that guy :)
I have had people send me free chaeto and other misc items and it made my kids day when he came home and received something free from other swf lovers.
Please do not take the joy we all have from giving and receiving items from friends we have met here.

nwdyr

I also suggested the yearly "member charge" I and I think allot of others would do that. Also there should be a high post count needed , or even a min. time as a member? I think there are ways to make this work. I have also looked at the other site and it is sad to see it so empty. There are limits that would stop business from selling here. I really don't think too many were like that here , there were a few that were pretty obvious , but for the most part it was 10-50 dollar stuff , hardly enough to make a "business" I really like this site and I hope they fix this problem. I spend allot of time now else where looking at stuff for sale and have bought some stuff recently , but I miss buying from people here....

sharkbait9

I like the members only forum idea. I can fully stand behind that with the mods looking over our shoulders. At least then you know who’s who.
While I agree members were trying to run a side business trying to hock their goods and ruined it, For everyone else. Members appear to not be inclined so much to come to this message board and help others anymore since “what’s my reward for helping and having a sense of pride to say look at my tanks and my coral, you want a piece sure I’ll sell a frag. Number 2 lets be honest, if it is a decline in coral/fish sales most of the coral are pretty generic run of the mill coral, so I have to go to other websites to find the nice colorful coral that I can’t buy a frag of anymore on this forum and since im on another site/forum I can pick up a coral or three and what ever else I need. a lot of good members who have helped make this forum a better forum now suffer due to the “throw the seller threads to the wayside“.
Just calling it as I see it, sorry if I step on toes but its just how I see it.
Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2844048
to tell you the truth, i got zoas once from someone..they never opened up. that was the last time i bought zoas online. i have sharkbait9 for my local transactions

And now you have half my zoas

flricordia

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2843853
I also bilieve it would be in swf.coms benefit to join us on our boards rather than fight it
throw some pics on sell some of your odds and ends on the forum you would have good luck we like to see what we are getting not a representation of what we might get I would gladly pay a membership to get our board back in action it is dying
I only buy WYSIWYG. Been burned too many times. I do buy high end zoas and the like with pics representing, but would never buy a fish that states, 2"-4" or the likes of such.

fats71

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2844577
I only buy WYSIWYG. Been burned too many times. I do buy high end zoas and the like with pics representing, but would never buy a fish that states, 2"-4" or the likes of such.
agreed not 2" - 4" is a big difference... I been wondering why they did that as well. I will only buy wysiwyg from now on even with LR.

unleashed

I know the auction site is slow right now however its due to the fact no one wants to give a small % to sell any item .. but look at it this way it gives everyone a fair chance to purchase.. there is no 1 sec posted response before the other so you have first dibs.. no Bulk buying and selling of items.. which I see alot of..I'm a member on a few different forums .
I have seen and yes I still see it. several people buying full set ups or equipment for dirt cheep prices( remember this is the sellers loss) then turn right around and jack the price up and resell.. a few of these people have been banned from swf for doing this but those members are elsewhere still doing it.. this is not a business forum its a hobby forum.. what i have seen here since the change has been more people actually posting about there tanks people helping one another...
others were selling here due to the fact other auction sites charge as well.. many of us have purchased from them also
... change isn't always easy give it a chance.. remember if it used and all it creates is headaches of why cant we we may all find ourselves not having it at all.. I truly think the mods here made a hard but necessary decision

greenreefer

that's too bad. I hope your playing with your money, because I know an angel, vc, or private equity firm wouldn't be too happy with a client blantently ignoring their customers and decreasing overall site traffic.
Sad to say good by, but this site is officially dead. I'm out.
I can be found either as CaptiveBred, GreenReefer, or GreenReefer77 on pretty much any of the other big sites.

M

markeo99

remember it makes no point to leave if they already have our info posts

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/2844848
we may all find ourselves not having it at all
not having what? a message board? plenty of them to join, i just happend to join swf when i bought some fish. If I was paying a membership then that’s one thing, but a free message board who’s losing what? That’s not an invite to a fight or argue I don’t know what your referring too.
Originally Posted by unleashed

http:///forum/post/2844848
I know the auction site is slow right now however its due to the fact no one wants to give a small % to sell any item .. but look at it this way it gives everyone a fair chance to purchase.. there is no 1 sec posted response before the other so you have first dibs.. no Bulk buying and selling of items.. which I see alot of..I'm a member on a few different forums .
I have seen and yes I still see it. several people buying full set ups or equipment for dirt cheep prices( remember this is the sellers loss) then turn right around and jack the price up and resell.. a few of these people have been banned from swf for doing this but those members are elsewhere still doing it.. this is not a business forum its a hobby forum.. what i have seen here since the change has been more people actually posting about there tanks people helping one another...
others were selling here due to the fact other auction sites charge as well.. many of us have purchased from them also
... change isn't always easy give it a chance.. remember if it used and all it creates is headaches of why cant we we may all find ourselves not having it at all.. I truly think the mods here made a hard but necessary decision
I have gotten better bids on the other site with more people checking out what frags I still had left in my one tank, I did not lose, other members on swf lost.
IMHO it’s a waste of money setting up the saltwaterfishauction.com or what ever its called. I joined and looked thru and navigations is terrible to find what your looking for. I’m sure people may find what they are looking for if they have the time to waste looking for it, but then again even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Good luck with it swf

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2845434
that's too bad. I hope your playing with your money, because I know an angel, vc, or private equity firm wouldn't be too happy with a client blantently ignoring their customers and decreasing overall site traffic.
Sad to say good by, but this site is officially dead. I'm out.
I can be found either as CaptiveBred, GreenReefer, or GreenReefer77 on pretty much any of the other big sites.
i have the same name on the other sites too

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2845441
remember it makes no point to leave if they already have our info posts
i still check out the board but not as much anymore i notice a lot of other members on the other boards too now.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2843396
The zoa forum is dieing and that is mainly because we can't sell there any longer. Nobody is using SW auctions. Why don't use use the capabilities of this message board application and setup a paid members area that is not available for non-paid members. Charge us $10, $20, what ever per year and then let us sell, trade and buy in there. You'll make your money, because most of us will buy the membership for that section.
I'm involved with a few boards like that, using the same application as you are currently, so you have the capabilities of doing that.
Please consider this suggestion and bring the active boards back.