Suggestion

veni vidi vici

You know what this new section needs right off the bat??
A sticky on how to acclimate SPS.
So far my method has been hit and miss,more hit these days than miss.But it would be nice if someone with some experience could share some of their knowledge here. I don't buy into the temp acclimate and plop into DT acclimation theory.Ive lost a few SPS frags this way to RTN.Since i have changed my acclimation procedure i haven't lost one.

hurt

I first temp acclimate in the same bag the frag came in for ~30 min. I then drip acclimate in a small bucket that I will place in my sump(to maintain temp for the rest of the acclimation period) for at least another hour before I will put any new frags into my DT. Once in my DT I put the frags on the bottom of my tank for 1 week, then depending on the type of sps I will move it up higher in the tank if the coral needs higher lighting. You don't want to "shock" them with ANY drastic changes(temp, lighting, Salinity, Ca, Alk, etc)-pretty much any parameter.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2604263
I first temp acclimate in the same bag the frag came in for ~30 min. I then drip acclimate in a small bucket that I will place in my sump(to maintain temp for the rest of the acclimation period) for at least another hour before I will put any new frags into my DT. Once in my DT I put the frags on the bottom of my tank for 1 week, then depending on the type of sps I will move it up higher in the tank if the coral needs higher lighting. You don't want to "shock" them with ANY drastic changes(temp, lighting, Salinity, Ca, Alk, etc)-pretty much any parameter.
Pretty much the same way here ,except i skip floating the bag and just go straight to drip acclimate.then thoroughly inspect for any hitch hikers good or bad.

groupergenius

Remember also to dip all your new corals. I use lugol's iodine, then flatworm exit. It's also good to use some interceptor in a dip to make sure theres no red bugs.