Suggestions for my stock list please.

sagxman

My tank is back up and running after a year and a half or so of no major life. I'm preparing a stock list but I don't know exactly what I want so I'm looking for some suggestions to go along with my initial thoughts. Second, once I decide on the fish, I'm curious about the order to add them. Tank is 29 gal. and will eventually be a reef.
The goal here is to settle on a stock list and get my first fish in the QT tank very soon.
Thoughts:
- I think I want 2 percula or false percula clowns. What's the difference in the two other than price?
- I've had a 6 line wrasse in the past and it was awesome, I'd do another or take suggestions on something similar
- What about a tiny goby? Don't want anything that will do too much digging in my DSB though. I don't need toppling rocks.
- Blennies? Have had a bicolor blenny
- Hawkfish?
Hope I can get a few knowledgeable people to help out here. Ideas and photos of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

geoj

My tank is back up and running after a year and a half or so of no major life. I'm preparing a stock list but I don't know exactly what I want so I'm looking for some suggestions to go along with my initial thoughts. Second, once I decide on the fish, I'm curious about the order to add them. Tank is 29 gal. and will eventually be a reef.

The goal here is to settle on a stock list and get my first fish in the QT tank very soon.

Thoughts:
- I think I want 2 percula or false percula clowns. What's the difference in the two other than price?
- I've had a 6 line wrasse in the past and it was awesome, I'd do another or take suggestions on something similar
- What about a tiny goby? Don't want anything that will do too much digging in my DSB though. I don't need toppling rocks.
- Blennies? Have had a bicolor blenny
- Hawkfish?

Hope I can get a few knowledgeable people to help out here. Ideas and photos of suggestions are greatly appreciated.

- I think I want 2 percula or false percula clowns, Newbie
- I've had a 6 line wrasse, :t^:
- What about a tiny goby? I like Catalina Goby
- Blennies? Bicolor blenny can be a nipper, I like Starry Blenny
- Hawkfish? If your a gambler

sagxman

- I think I want 2 percula or false percula clowns, Newbie
- I've had a 6 line wrasse, :t^:
- What about a tiny goby? I like Catalina Goby
- Blennies? Bicolor blenny can be a nipper, I like Starry Blenny
- Hawkfish? If your a gambler
Thanks Geo,
Ok, so the percs are too newbie-ish? Funny thing is I've never had one in all the years I've dabbled is SW. I'd love a Picaso or snowflake clown but I'm a little scared to spen that much on one right now.
Guess I can't go wrong with a 6-line.
The Catalina looks awesome, but their native temps run between 60-70 degrees. Not sure how well it would do in my warmer tank.
Had good luck with bicolors in the past but wouldn't mind something else.
Why do you consider a hawkish a gamble? Do they not tend to do well?

flower

I select and build my tank around the favorite fish I want. Then I select the best tank mates for them. That really is the easiest way to stock the tank because it gives you a focus point to work from. So of all the fish mentioned or that you have seen or read about....which one is the fish you really want as a must have? Once you have that answer the rest comes easy.

superman

don't disregard a hardy fish as "newbie". Percs can be great, and you can take it a step out of "newbie", by pairing them with an anemone. As for perc or osc, there are subtle differences between the two such as thickness of their black bars, and spines in the dorsal fin. However, it is also speculated that they are variations of the same fish. Check out the book 'Clownfishes' it's pretty helpful. As for the hawkfish, they are neat, but risky if you plan to keep any shrimp, snails, or small crabs, among other invertebrates.

sagxman

I select and build my tank around the favorite fish I want. Then I select the best tank mates for them. That really is the easiest way to stock the tank because it gives you a focus point to work from. So of all the fish mentioned or that you have seen or read about....which one is the fish you really want as a must have? Once you have that answer the rest comes easy.
That's my problem. I don't know exactly what my "must have" fish is. I've had quite a variety of fish in the 10 years or so that I've dabbled. There's not a huge selection that will fit in a 29.
don't disregard a hardy fish as "newbie". Percs can be great, and you can take it a step out of "newbie", by pairing them with an anemone. As for perc or osc, there are subtle differences between the two such as thickness of their black bars, and spines in the dorsal fin. However, it is also speculated that they are variations of the same fish. Check out the book 'Clownfishes' it's pretty helpful. As for the hawkfish, they are neat, but risky if you plan to keep any shrimp, snails, or small crabs, among other invertebrates.
I agree with your anemone comment. My thought is that you have not been successful with an anemone unless it has lived at least one year. I am proud to say I had a maroon and gold stripe with a bta for well over a year in a previous display.
I also prefer hardy fish. Easier on the bank account.
Let me ask this; are some of the more expensive clowns like the Picasso or snowflakes as hardy as the percs? Do they need to be in pairs like the percs prefer or alone like a maroon and gold stripe? If they're hardy enough I might splurge and make one or two of them my "must haves" but not the first fish in the tank.
- So, I think a 6-line is deffinent.
- Maybe a pretty, smaller variety of shrimp goby.
- If they're hardy one or two Picasso or snowflake clowns and further down the road an anemone.
What are some other varieties I should considder?

superman

My best luck with anemones has been my BTA. That's because previous species were condies, which are cold water anemones. The snowflake clownfish are a variation of the perc/oscellaris and are very hardy. Just do some good observation on the specimens before purchasing. As I mentioned previously, check out the book Clownfishes it has great info about most clowns, as well as anemones. Also, there's a very cool shrimp goby that I cannot think of the name of. When I get home this evening I will check. In fact, I just saw it for the first time last night in one of my magazines, and really liked it. So i'll get back to you on the goby.

sagxman

Oh, and the snowflakes and picasso's do prefer pairs.
Thanks, that's awesome. I'm going to do the research on the clowns as you suggested and take Flower's advice of building around my "must haves". I'll be curious to see the goby you're thinking of.
So out of these; a 6-line, some type of tiny goby, and two picassos or similar (which will probably put me around capacity) what would be the order of addition into the tank. I want to avoid the clowns being first since the ones I want are a bit expensive.

superman

The goby I was referring to is the white ray goby (aka yasha hasha goby, aka yasha goby). It's a small shrimp goby that grows to about 2 inches. I liked the colors, and they seem to be pretty hardy. Not sure about availability, but possibly worth a look.

sagxman

The goby I was referring to is the white ray goby (aka yasha hasha goby, aka yasha goby). It's a small shrimp goby that grows to about 2 inches. I liked the colors, and they seem to be pretty hardy. Not sure about availability, but possibly worth a look.
Good looking fish. Looks like it might be hard to find and I read it's recommended for 30 gal. minimum. I'd be afraid my 29 would be pushing it. Think I'm leaning to the clown goby.
What would go first between clown goby, 6-line, and 2 Piccasos?
I am thinking the order that I listed them would be best. Anyone agree, disagree or have alternate suggestions?

lubeck

Heres a pic of my 30 gal reef with two black ocelaris clowns... I have a BTA and they have gone in it about 7 times in the past month... they are both still young just like the tank. i have a gumdrop goby that is really cool looking but only will dart out when feeding time, otherwise, i don't see him. I have a yellow watchmen goby and three greem chromis but will prob get rid of them. Im saving up for a flame angel and mandarin goby (last fish) ....Its been tuff trying to figure out a stocking list for such a small tank but I think i finally made my mind up...Hope this helps

sagxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/391148/suggestions-for-my-stock-list-please#post_3467802
Heres a pic of my 30 gal reef with two black ocelaris clowns... I have a BTA and they have gone in it about 7 times in the past month... they are both still young just like the tank. i have a gumdrop goby that is really cool looking but only will dart out when feeding time, otherwise, i don't see him. I have a yellow watchmen goby and three greem chromis but will prob get rid of them. Im saving up for a flame angel and mandarin goby (last fish) ....Its been tuff trying to figure out a stocking list for such a small tank but I think i finally made my mind up...Hope this helps

Love the black clowns. They look cool in the BTA. The tank looks really nice. I'm with you on switching out the chromis. It's not a big enough tank for them to really school much. I'd do a little more research on the mandarin if I were you. I doubt you have enough live rock and pods to sustain one for more than a month or two. They're misleading because they're small and pretty but they really need a big tank to sustain their food source.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/391148/suggestions-for-my-stock-list-please#post_3467844
I should be fine.. I have a fuge with cheato and over 70lbs of LR...
Seed the fuge with copepods, wait 6 months to a year and then get the mandarin. If your tank has already been up 6 months to a year with the fuge and chaeto....you might be ready for one. Mandarins will go through a ton of pods a day, so it's important to have enough copepods already established before they are introduced.

rickross23

yep flower's right...you'd be surprised all the hunting they do... Lubeck, you said the clowns were young, like the tank...how old is it? Anemones need an established tank like the madarins. Never rush. Patience!!

lubeck

I will be fine, its not my first mandarin... I have a few bottles of pods coming tomorrow anyway to put in the fuge....