Suggestions for Newb.

ghoztz

In the next few months I would like to start a Saltwater aquarium up. I may be getting a 90 Gal, if not one definitely between 40-100. Honestly I don't think I will want anything too complicated, I have just fallen for the little clown fishes. (I have wanted one for a while)
Basically, I would like your tips, advice, suggestions, etc. on the equipment (and size, if you think a 90gal is too much or whatever) Also I would like to know if there are any really good books that would explain setting up a tank. I have a hard time understanding the functions of a sump.
-- Are sumps needed? and should I get the tank drilled? (I've read its a lot better to) Is it easy to set up the sump and all of those pipes inside of the stand? (Really, that is what I am most worried about, whether or not I can hook all of that equipment up myself.)
Also, are pumps and water flow power heads the same thing?
I'm sorry that I have so many questions.. Thanks in advance.

ghoztz

6 feet long? How many gallons would that be//where would I find one that big? (and..I'm guessing it would be fairly expensive..)

texasmetal

You should search the internet or go ask at your local fish stores and find out if you have a local saltwater aquarium society/organization. If you do, the members would probably be more than happy to let you come see their setups and explain the plumbing/sump in detail so you actually get to see it for yourself. Also, they just might have some used equipment they want to get rid of for cheap!

rbaldino

The best place to start is by deciding what kind(s) of fish you want, and if you want a reef tank (and what corals). That's really going to dictate a lot of other things. If you just want clowns and other small fish, there's no real reason to have a big tank with a sump. If you'd also like some big fish, obviously you're going to need a big tank. However, big fish generally don't do well with little fish, so you may have to make some compromises.

aquaguy24

6 feet tanks are usually about 125g and up. they can cost in the thousands ..but clowns don't need 6 feet tanks unless u plan on getting into tangs and such...but for the most part..the equipment u need depends on what type of tank u want to set up...read and do more research before u buy anything..fish only tanks are not complicated at all...but reef tanks are a different story.. as for tanks size, get the biggest u can afford...

nietzsche

this forum and other forums would be more than willing to help you out with setting up a sump. i think a sump would be a great idea. instead of drilling you could look into a prefilter box so you dont end up breaking the tank if its tempered or buy a reef ready tank.
basically the water will flow down into the sump and itll go through each compartment where it will pass through several types of filtration. you can put your equipment down there like heater, protein skimmer, and put macro algae too. and itll be pumped back up using a return pump.
if you want big fish remember youre going to want a big quarantine tank (QT). make sure you quarantine all your fish, corals, and clams. buy a refractometer also, and if you want to get a big tank look into a reverse osmosis and deionization unit (ro/di) for making water for your tank. like others said, the fish you want is going to dictate the size of aquarium you want and what type.. like fish only with live rock (FOWLR), reef tank which will include corals and or reef safe fish
also the type of corals you want to keep will also dictate the lighting you're going to want to have. if you're going to go for an anemone (not reef safe though) for the clowns when your tank is 6 months old, itll need strong lighting. same thing with a clam.
if you can afford a tank like 90g or more, then go for it. just understand that buying live sand, live rock, lighting, will end up costing more than a smaller tank and it will add up. also think of how much water youll end up changing weekly or biweekly. the good thing is if something goes wrong in a larger tank you have more time to correct the problem than you would in a smaller tank. not discouraging you from getting a tank like 90 or more, but those are just some things to think of.
well, good luck and happy reefing!!! hope that explained some of your questions.

lesleybird

Hi, A ninety gallon is a perfect size for a new person to saltwater fish. Had one myself for the last 4 years and just upgraded to a 190. Definately get a drilled tank with an overflow. When your tank is predrilled you do not have the misshaps with syphens not working properly every time the power goes out for a few minutes. In the saltwater tank the water going over the overflow oxygenates the water. Tanks of in the 90 gallon size are better than a smaller tank in that the water chemistry is more stable and does not change as fast. Figure out what you want to keep in there to determine the size of the tank. Read up on the requirnments of each creature before you buy them or the tank. Good luck, Lesley