suggestions on buying live rock....

I'm setting up a tank and was wondering what your opinions are on buying live rock via the internet vs. buying it at my local fish store. I would like to hear from someone who has purchased rock via the internet, Thanks!
ELizabeth

jamesp

I ordered LR online for the first time last week and it’s arriving today. I will post again once it arrives and let you know what I get. I know it's a whole lot cheaper then the LFS, even with shipping.
I believe in "You get what you pay for". :D But we'll see.

jimi

I have bought much better rock online from <a href="http://www.gulf-view.com" target="_blank">www.gulf-view.com</a>

stcardoza

I bought a 50 lb. box on-line a little over a month ago. I used it to cycle my 55 Gal. tank. The quality was excellent. I was able to tell them over the phone the size, shape, and coloration of the rock I wanted and I got exactly what I asked for. It looked a lot better than the stuff at my LFS too (and it was less than half the price!). The tank fully cycled in two weeks, and now there's lots of things starting to grow back on the rock again. I was very pleased. :D

salty guy

I have never purchased LR from the net because I like to hand pick my rock. I try to find it with lots of holes and stuff like that. But from the post above I guess you can tell them what you are looking for and they try to find it.
If I were you I would try the net and see if I get good service, if they seem to work with you go for it, if they dont head out to that LFS and pick what you want.

stcardoza

I bought a 50 lb. box on-line a little over a month ago. I used it to cycle my 55 Gal. tank. The quality was excellent. I was able to tell them over the phone the size, shape, and coloration of the rock I wanted and I got exactly what I asked for. It looked a lot better than the stuff at my LFS too (and it was less than half the price!). The tank fully cycled in two weeks, and now there's lots of things starting to grow back on the rock again. I was very pleased. :D

stcardoza

Elizabeth,
I'm not sure if I should say where i got it on this message board since it wasn't from SWF. you can send me e-mail at cardoza@cis.ohio-state.edu and I'll let you know. Thanks.

jamesp

stcardoza -- I was told it's ok to say where you bought your stuff as long as you don't try and stear people away from swf.com.
My shipment just came in from fishsupply.com. It came in 2 45 pound boxes. The rock was still wet and wrapped in newspaper.
I don't see and critters yet. As of now it looks like plan live rock that HAS been fully cured.

I bought 50 lbs from SWF.com and it was gorgeous. Makes the LFS LR look dead. was wrapped in plastic, not newspaper and arrived in great shape, appears fully cured. My tank finished cycling 1 week after I got it. Highly reccomend the LR from SWF.com. I am in NC...not too far from Fl.

stcardoza

Well if it's OK, then I'll tell you...I bought mine from anchofish.com. They shipped it the same day I ordered it and it was hand-picked for me, exactly what I asked for (I asked for a few large pieces with lots of holes and a few medium size pieces, all very colorful). I ordered on a Wednesday and got it on Friday. It was only 'mostly-cured' (their term) but that's what I wanted to get because I was cycling with it and it gave me a great cycle (only 2 weeks!). It came completely covered in green and purple coraline algae. I've had it in there for about 6 weeks now and I haven't noticed any critters in there yet.
I've also heard lots of great things about the LR they sell here at SWF, so I would consider that an option too. ;)

jamesp

I left that out. It was in plastic bags and also wrapped in newspaper.
I have also heard nothing but good things about SWF.com.

T

therock0861

I ordered LR from SWF.com and was very pleased. It was much better than any of the lfs in my area. I think ordering from them is a good thing.

kijak

I bought 50lbs from TBsaltwater, It is excellent, and worth every penny I paid. I will be buying more from them, for my other tanks. Only drawback was a hitchhiker (mantis shrimp), But God put them in the ocean for a reason. I just wish I was able to find out about all the living creatures on the rock, and corals and sponges etc...
jack

maddog20

I have a FO tank and use NO LR. It seems only to do well under strong lighting and good water conditions in my opinion. I have my tank for 3 years. I think it makes great decor. And when it done right it is stunning

S

starfishjackedme

CHeck out Anchofish.com, they have great deals on a bunch of different types of rock at good prices.
I would never buy from an LFS bc what they are selling is dead. It nothing of value on it. If you want purple encrusted rock w/ maybe a few corals here and there - get the transshiped from Ancho. The week cycling is worth it. Many of my rocks came with zooanthinds on them and are now spreading.

fshhub

what the lfs sells is not dead, just scrubbed, it has no algae on it any longer, but it will regrow, trust me, i have done both, if it is sold as live rock, it is live(maybe brown and ugly at first)
i have no problems ordering on line, one draw back is, mny places will send you what they want, one time we gto a box full of fist size and smaller pieces, alot of them
many places may let you request your rock, be sure to ask, especially if you have an idea what you want, i like going to the lfs and hand picking the piece i want, size and sahpe is entirely up to me then, and i do not care if it is brwon looking, there is no if any ammonia spike from die off, and has lots of life, many worms and feather dusters, lots of caraline and macro algaes too,but hey had to grow, jus tlike the other stuff), the major drawback there is price
and i have heard nothing BUT good things about swf's rock, and the prices are very reasonable, 50 lbs for 200(shipping included)
HTH

karlas

you can get lr a lot cheaper online but when u receive it you have to cure it yourself and it can be a hassle. also you dont know what size pieces your going to get. if you buy it at a lfs you can pick your own pieces and more than likely it is already fully cured but a bit more money. so there is good and bad points both ways