Suggestions on transferring to new tank

jp0379

Okay, guys and gals......heres the deal. I had a 20 gal. high when I first started back into this after a few years away, and a few months ago I transferred everything into a 25 gallon long. I put the fish in a small aquarium with some water from the original tank, transferred everything over (water, live sand, live rock, coral), and then added the appropriate amount to top it off, then put the fish in their new home. NO problems (knock on wood) at all. NOW, my WIFE (YES, THATS RIGHT! THE WIFE!!! :) ) and I decided we are going up to a 55 or a 65. Any suggestions on how to do this with the least amount of trouble? I have to add live sand and more water, of course. The water added will basically be the equivalent of adding water during a 50% water change in my 25, so I don't forsee much problems there. I have nothing delicate in it at this time (no tangs, ect...), and the water in my 25 is currently testing pretty close to perfect (as I knock on wood AGAIN!). Sounds possible? AND WISH ME LUCK, TOO!

aarone

when i changed from a 55 to a 30, i expieriened a little yle from stirring up the LS. make sure it doesnt do this or you will lose yo fish.:(

harlequinnut

I am planning something similar. I have a 55 now and will be getting a 125 or maybe 150:eek: . That's almost a 75% water change if I'm correct. Since the new tank will be in the same spot as the old. I would have to tear down the 55 before I can setup the 125-150. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

dzones

IMO I would acclimate them as if you just brought them home for the first time. do a full drip like they suggest on this site.
A 75% water change is pretty drastic but if you are using good water like RO/DI then you are off to a good start.
Good luck! wish i could add more but i would hate to guess on an answer i am not pretty sure of.
Dave

jp0379

Thanks.........I am going for the 55, so tommorrow should be the day.........I think I'm going to put in the livesand, liverock, and water, and let that run for a few days, then transfer everything over............its still like doing a 50% water change, but hopefully the extra few days will be what I need to make sure I don't lose anything. Keep me and the fish in your prayers........LOL.

lesleybird

Originally posted by Harlequinnut
I am planning something similar. I have a 55 now and will be getting a 125 or maybe 150:eek: . That's almost a 75% water change if I'm correct. Since the new tank will be in the same spot as the old. I would have to tear down the 55 before I can setup the 125-150. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

First remove all the live rocks into 5 gallon buckets or other smaller tubs/tanks and keep them wet. Catch the fish and place them in a couple of 5 gallon buckets with the old tank water. Put an airstone (air pump) into each bucket of fish and place a lid or something partly over it so that they don't jump out.
Maybe get a giant plastic garbage can/tub fully rinsed and drain the 55 out into one or two of these. When the tank is almost completely drained, skoot it out of the way and place the new tank. Move the sand or substrate from the old tank into the new tank using a big plastic cup or something to do it. Add new live sand or other substrate....I would put the any nonseeded substrate on the bottom. Fill the new tank with old tank water and some live rocks (keep em wet during the transition). Put the fish into the tank with it partially full. Hopefully you will have at least 8 inches or so of water in the tank. Keep it moving with a power head or airstones etc. Place the new saltwater in maybe over the next several hours....maybe 5 gallons at a time, then wait 30 minutes between each so as to gradually get the fish acculamated to the new water. I would try to keep the house temperature between 75 and 80 degrees when you do this so that all the water temperatures in the buckets and tubs will be ok.
Place some liquid cycle bacteria into the tank acording to directions and every few days for a while. Do not add any new fish to the bioload for a few months until the new items have time to get populated with a lot of nitrifying bacteria. Don't add more than one new live rock at a time unless you know that it is completely curred as any die back can cause amonia problems. Good luck, Lesley