Suicidal Wrasse

saltyshark

It was the weirdest thing...I was Snoozing on the couch when I heard a spashing noise from my tank about 5 feet away. I looked around the tank but didn't see anything unusual. So I shrugged it off as just another odd noise from the tank. Then I felt something wet on my leg and I looked down, and there on my lap was my neon wrasse gasping for air :eek:!! I cupped him in my hand and ran to the tank and dropped him in. After I was freakin out because if he jumped a few inches in either direction he would have looked like a sun-dried tomato by the time I would have woken up.
I don't see what could have spooked him. Afterall he does rule the tank. I think he was just envious of the flying fish on the discovery special :D

saltyshark

Originally posted by mercedes that is wierd......but wrasse are very active fish so he could have hjust been jumping around.....

They are definitely active! He's always darting around the tank.
Originally posted by jibbittyflibbit

haha .. looks like it was trying to hump your leg

Can you blame it :D

wrassecal

Originally posted by SaltyShark
It was the weirdest thing...I was Snoozing on the couch when I heard a spashing noise from my tank about 5 feet away Then I felt something wet on my leg and I looked down, and there on my lap was my neon wrasse gasping for air :eek:!! I cupped him in my hand and ran to the tank and dropped him in :D

OMG! :D :D :D That is so funny. Good thing you didn't slap your leg when you felt it :eek: I'm about to fall off my chair laughing picturing you (and when I picture you, you look amazingly like Brad Pitt) snoozing on the couch when a fish lands in your lap! Hope all is well with both you and the fish.

saltyshark

Originally posted by Wrassecal
OMG! :D :D :D That is so funny. Good thing you didn't slap your leg when you felt it :eek: I'm about to fall off my chair laughing picturing you (and when I picture you, you look amazingly like Brad Pitt) snoozing on the couch when a fish lands in your lap! Hope all is well with both you and the fish.

I knew you'd enjoy that story Wrassecal :p
Brad Pitt...hmmm well maybe if I turn my head to the righhhhht a little:rolleyes: ;) :D heh heh

fishies

Good catch Salty:D Our Fairy Wrasse that we had for a long time suddenly jumped out of the tank. Unfortunately, she hit the wall when she jumped, we got her back in the tank asap, but we lost her a couple weeks later. I'm glad that your Wrasse made a safe return :)

saltyshark

Sorry to hear the news Fishies :( fairy wrasses are very cool fish. I'd hate to lose one. How long did you have her?
Fortunately, mine was lucky (this time) and is now back to darting around the tank...but I'm worried he might try it again. I find myself checking the tank every 5 minutes just to see if he's still there. Well, all the more reason to get working on that canopy I guess :rolleyes::D
SaltyShark

fishies

Hi Salty, we had her for close to a year. She had never jumped before, something must have spooked her. The opening at the time was only an inch, I hadn't worried about anyone being able to get out. Needless to say, there is now no openings what so ever. Good to hear all is back to normal for your little guy. Hopefully he didn't like his experience, and won't jump again;)

wrassecal

Hopefully it learned it's lesson. When our tank was fairly new we bought a royal gramma, they hide a lot. We took all our live rock out, to do some rearranging, and put it in a laundry basket, just for a minute or so. When my husband picked up a piece of rock the royal gramma was flopping around on the bottom of the laundry basket. He scooped it up real quick and plopped it back in the tank. That was about 10 months ago. The gramma has never hidden since, just took it's post up in the right front area of the tank as if to say "I'm here, please don't put me in the laundry basket again:eek: " He came through it just fine though, thank goodness. Glad your wrasse is doing well:)