Summer too much for tank?

hermitkrab

This doesn't have to do with my other post because my fish died when I kept my tank at 78. But here in Ohio it has been an off summer. My tank has probably been 90 or more sometimes. Is this a big problem for my coral or inverts. I have xenia, shrooms, and zoos. Nothing has died yet and it is pretty far into to the summer. Just thought I should make sure. Thanks.

jjlittle

90 is high and I would put fans on the tank I am very surprised nothing is showing ill effect from it. Though I will say I read a book that stated about certain reef areas in the world where temp would be in the 90's . But in the tank world I worry if I am around 84 I would just try to keep it cooler and stable .

hermitkrab

So far nothing has died I think it is just because the temperature wasn't suddenly inreased but steadly moved up so it wasn't a shock to them. I'll try using fans but thesummer is almost over. Although today is going to be 90 if not more. I don't think my heater was on once this whole summer.

matty0h_52

you could try fans. and or take the lids of the tank and keep the doors opean to the sump? but then you have to deal with evaporation

ags

keep your AC at 77 when you not at home.
I have a progammable, digital thermostat and set it at 77 when I am not home. I also keep all the blinds shut and the fans on in the tank room to keep it cool. Since I come home from work around 7 to 7:30 every night I set the thermostat to cool the house to 73 starting around 6. My evaporation and tank temperature fluctuates much less this way and the increase in my electric bill was negligible.
By the way I live in Florida where 90 is considered a cool, summer day. 95+ is more typical.

wax32

It's really hot in New Orleans these days too. The central air in the house we rent is totally too weak. Room temp in the tank room is 85. I love my chiller! My tank STAYS 80-81 degrees.

speg

Hey Ags you live close =c)
You sure your tank temp is actually 90? Xenia usually fry in less temp than that.

jer4916

i would say instead of worrying about 4509874075409 fans, and keeping your blinds shut and wondering if its going to heat up every 3rd moon, i would just buy a chiller...you can get a decent one for cheap.
~chris

hermitkrab

I don't have Ac and I don't have a sump and my tank doesn't have a lid. Also I am currently trying to buy a new Mh and a protein skimmer so I can't afford a chiller now and the worst of the summer is over. I think I'll be okay.

jer4916

hopefully, it is something i would save for over time though...just because it would be a shame to loose everything just because of 1 hot day....but all is well ..and thats whats important! :)
~chris

murph145

id break down and buy a chiller you dont want a cool lookin tank with everything in it dead cuz of the heat.... and especially with the MH light it will gt hotter!!!
i just forked out a bunch of money to upgrade my lights to 2- 250 watt 20K DE lights with pendants and ballast so i decided to buy a chiller 2!!!
sure it was more $$$ but u need one when seriously into reefs its worth the $$$
works great buy one