Sump Build Design

aquaria

So.....I have decided to do a DIY sump instead of buying one. I have a 36g Bow front tank and my tank stand does not allow enough room for a large sump tank.
The only size tank that will fit is a 5 Gallon.
Here is my basic design (not to scale), will it theoretically work? or does it need some fixing up?
Thanks everyone!

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaria http:///t/391048/sump-build-design#post_3466008
So.....I have decided to do a DIY sump instead of buying one. I have a 36g Bow front tank and my tank stand does not allow enough room for a large sump tank.
The only size tank that will fit is a 5 Gallon.
Here is my basic design (not to scale), will it theoretically work? or does it need some fixing up?
Thanks everyone!

Looks pretty good to me.
Perhaps the intak baffel should be the same height as the middle baffle in the bubble trap but even that is probably not all that important.
I would take a second look at you tank and see if something larger could fit in sideways. On my old 55g I use a plastic storage container with the long side going front and aft. that also had the advantage of sticking out the back so my drain go straight down from the overflow to the sump.
I also used a wastebasket with crushed oyster shells a filter material in my intake section. You could put outlets to the refugium at the bottom and fill thie intake with osyter shells contained by some screening material to have a similiar effect. In my case the wastebasket was higher then the water level so it was a kinda wet dry.
Of course be sure to test 1) power out (no flood), 2) power return (normal operation returns) and 3) overflow failure (sump runs dry before display floods).
my .02

aquaria

Thanks! yeah i have been looking at ways to fit a bigger tank down there. Im going to buy the acrylic today and see what i can do!