sump construction

I was hoping you could clear a thought up for me. According to some diy diagrams the bio ball media should not be submerged just sprinkled upon. Right? Also, if I was to use LR instead I assume that would be completely below water level. I'm not to sure about how wet or dry the media should get. Thanks for the ideas.

jastim

Your correct on both accounts. The water is supposed to simply drip over media (like rain). It falls through the media and then into the sump. How much LR do you have in your tank? If you have enough LR, you may not need or want media. And yes the LR is kept under water.

Well I don't have any LR yet just some kind of porous rock and some dead base rock. The porous rock has been in the tank for 6 months and the other a month. I believe it with be live some day. Recently I was thinking buying some LR to seed the tank. I also have several inches of sand. The reason for the post was to get an idea of what was better as a media. Plus, I wanted to take some rock out of my tank, because it traps waste in certain areas. So the rock in the sump would be the more economical way. Thanks for posting.

Hello,
I have a sump that I may sell ;) Dont know what your looking for but I would the wet/dry sump, Berlin skimmer w/pump and a in-line return pump.
Since I live in NH we could meet somewhere if you wanted.
Send me a e-mail Wastedincome420@aol.com