Sump Design

zero26

First off let me say this is a crude drawing but what do you think of this sump design? I have a 30g Breeder tank. I am going to go with a Octopus NWB-150 in the intake chamber that is 10" return in the middle and the refugium on the right. All compartments are 10" wide. On the intake I am splitting the flow between the fuge and the intake. Thanks

al mc

It will work but I personally do not like valves on my drain lines...something goes wrong and you are pumpimg water all over your floor....I would have the entire drain line go into the chamber with the skimmer and put a 'T' in the return line directing water into the 'refugium'. Have a ball valve on the main return line just above the 'T'. This allows you to control how much water goes into the DT. Just my humble opinion.

jimmy40741

I have the same design on my sump and it's also a 30 long. Like Al Mc said, I would run the drain directly into the first chamber and not T it. But instead of running a ball valve on the return line, put the ball valve on the side of the T going to your fuge. That's how I have mine set up. I thought it was better to let the return free flow back up instead of restricting it with the ball valve.

zero26

Thanks I think I will have to have a valve on my return because I'll have to tone down my mag 9.5

taznut

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3053913
It will work but I personally do not like valves on my drain lines...something goes wrong and you are pumpimg water all over your floor....I would have the entire drain line go into the chamber with the skimmer and put a 'T' in the return line directing water into the 'refugium'. Have a ball valve on the main return line just above the 'T'. This allows you to control how much water goes into the DT. Just my humble opinion.
by doing this you are pumping the already skimmed water into the fuge... isnt this the reason for not having the fuge after the skimmer, and wouldnt it defeat the purpose of having it set up the way he has it???

zero26

I think theres a debate about the skimmer not being able to skimmer every ounce of water that flows past it.

al mc

Originally Posted by zero26
http:///forum/post/3054454
I think theres a debate about the skimmer not being able to skimmer every ounce of water that flows past it.
Most set ups have the drain water go thru the area of the sump first containing the skimmer, then the 'fuge', then the return. The alternative that
you are considering setting up is the next best oiption IMHO.
Regardless of the set up you are correct that every ounce of drained water will not be 'skimmed' with every pass through the sump.

florida joe

[It will work but I personally do not like valves on my drain lines...something goes wrong and you are pumping water all over your floor/QUOTE]Ok so I am missing something here please explain this statement about valves

taznut

florida joe;3054460 said:
[It will work but I personally do not like valves on my drain lines...something goes wrong and you are pumping water all over your floor/QUOTE]Ok so I am missing something here please explain this statement about valves
i think he means that if you are using the valve to taper back the water flow to the fuge (as he does in his pic and i do with my tank) if the valve tapering back the flow get cloged and the return pumps more water than the other overflow can handle (again this is true in my case) there will be an overflow... i just put another 1" bulkhead drilled above my other 2 1.5" bulkheads in case this happens (if one gets clogged the 1" will handle the rest until i fix the clog...)

taznut

http:///forum/post/3054454
this makes since but is it better for the dirtiest water to flow through the fuge or mainly clean water to flow through it??? again, i think his setup is fine and if he does what he is planning adding another bulkhead above what he currently has will serve as a back up...

al mc

florida joe;3054460 said:
Joe....The diagram by OP shows valves on the drain lines. I am worried that if you restrict flow from the DT that you may get a flood. I would rather have unrestricted drain lines and limit the water circulated by controlling flow with a valve on the return line

zero26

The only reason I was going to put a valve on the DT drain line was to service the sump. I thought it would be the easiest way to service my megaflow aquarium.

al mc

http:///forum/post/3054485
The only reason I was going to put a valve on the DT drain line was to service the sump. I thought it would be the easiest way to service my megaflow aquarium.
That said...no problem as far as I can see.