SUMP DIY

bicolorgod

i need to construct a sump for my 60 gal sys. i want it to have a refugium as well. my main concern is what pumps to use and what to use to construct it. does anyone have good details on building one? Thanks!

bicolorgod

agh i drew a pic but im trying to get scanner to work. ever since i installed win2k its being mean :) im just not sure on what type of pumps how many gph etc but ill get it scanned!

bicolorgod

ok since im having mass trouble i took most of the ideas off of this picture (sorry i dont know who made it, or i would give credit) [[[[and no uv!!]]]]

except no "auto top off" and im not sure how much GPH im going to need
[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: BiColorGod ]

Well I too have asked this question. ;) It looks like you have a nice "base" plan. I'll add a few tips for ya.
On the refugium in-let I suggest that you feed it from the main tank over-flow line, just add a "Y" fitting to it and run a line from that to the refugium. You should add a ball valve at the end so that you can regulate the GPH going into the ref.(I would suggest using 3/4" line and valve for the ref. line)
Then for the out-let side of the refugium just allow the water to over flow over the divider back into the sump compartment.
Also from what I've been told you may want
to increase the GPH rate of the return pump up to bout 800-1000 GPH(just make sure that the main over-flow line can handle that much flow.
Other then that it looks like you should be on your way to a nice looking DIY sump/refugium. Don't forget to take LOTS of pictures :D

bicolorgod

wow you seem to be very knowledgable! but im not too good with the plumbing lingo so if you could draw a picture i would appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

bicolorgod

while im on this topic i need a skimmer to go where the skimmer place is. what would you reccomend? berlin? thanks! i really dont want to screw this up (like i did last time =[)
----heck just give me everything that ill need to buy w/ model numbers if anyone would be so kind i REALLY truly appreciate the help!
[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: BiColorGod ]

daluminum

model ##'s.. .oh if it were only that simple.. :D :D well about he berlin I have never used it because everyone I see seems to look cheap.. so I use a venturi(?) style.. that works great..
but anyway.. I said this when that drawing was posted the first time.. I think you should use a syphon hose from the sump to the refugium instead of an overflow.. a syphon hose is silent... and works much better than an overflow.. and it will only syphon out as much as you pump out with the powerhead..

johnnysalt

Here's my diag:

Chamber dividers are 1/4" plexiglas....Buy it at Home Depot and they'll cut it to size for you for free! I have a Rio 2100 for return, and I have the ball valve so I can regulate the gph in the refugium....and the sump is working great!
Let me know what you think!
johntori@charter.net
:cool:

fishfood

I have been looking at this board for the past month or so to try to figure out how i want to do my refugium. I had intended to do it similar to what you put up johnnysalt. I was just wondering if you would use all PVC pipe for the plumbing or the blue flex hose for pools and stuff.
What i had wanted to do was divide a 20g in half and run the flexable hose into a 6" diameter of PVC with a hole in the end cap where the hose fits(this PVC pipe will be cut at the bottom like a wier and sit in the side with the heater and skimmer obviously). I don't want to attach the end cap so i can remove it and put some pre-filter pads and possibly phosgaurd or carbon when needed. Thus I feel i need the flexable hoses so i can take this system apart. I've read that these hoses can have salt creap problems but I was hoping the end cap for the PVC would stop it. I would also put the valves on before the flexable hoses.
What do you all think. Is it a good idea or just asking for trouble.

fishfood

Johnnysalt,
Do you think the PVC pipe filter will work though? The 20g is not big enough to put in as many chambers as in your diagram with the Skimmer that i have.
I kind of have an idea of what hose you are talking about becasue i was at HD the other day and kind of glanced at what they had. Did you connect it to the PVC bulkhead and use the ball valves?
I can also get the lfs to help me out since my girlfriend works there. They have all the extras for the pipe work but I want it to be flexable and easy to work with the setup I have in mind. I just don't want to count on them for everything because they are trying to sell us another PS for our 55g tank which i don't think we need. I'm also going to get the 20g drilled and have an external pump.
One other thing. do you use a small bulkhead fitting for the refugium flow back into the other part of the sump?
Thanks