Sump for a 180 Gallon Tank

acrylic51

Very nice setup... Just a couple quick questions... Do the spray bars you have in your from your overflows put any type of back pressure on your overflows???? Why did you opt to put the sump/fuge under the tank instead of in the garage???

bigtyguyy

ya i also was wondering about the back pressure form the spray bars! Now seeing that you used them i would also like to use them

gold strip

Honestly couldnt tell you. I have an Iwaki 70 rlt return pump and the overfolws have no problem keeping up with it. Probably the way I have it set up its running about 1200 gph. I didnt go any larger on the return because I have 2 other pumps turning the water as well.
I have a little giant 4 running a closed loop from the back wall of the tank through my chiller and back to the top of the tank. That is turning about 700 gph.
I have another little giant 4 on a closed loop from the back wall of the tank to my OM 4-way and back to each corner of the tank turning about 800 gph.
So I have total flow of about 15x. I figure that is sufficient for a soft coral and LPS tank.
Wanted the sump/fuge inside the house due to temperature. It gets down to the 20s sometimes in the winter here and easily 95+ in the summer and I didnt want that large a percentage of my tank volume sitting outside in the garage exposed to the extreme temperatures.

gold strip

Kinda on hold. Have a newborn son that is taking priority over everything else. Also have a 75 that was in neglect while we were in the birth process so spent the last 2 weekends working on it.
Going to hook up the ro/di and kalk reactor tomorrow (hopefully) but it may be a while before I get the stand/canopy sanded and painted.
Will post pics when its done.

A

andretti

That sump/fuge is insaine! That is the best filtering system I've ever seen. The tank looks pretty darn good too. You've got some serious $$$ invested in that system. How second mortages did you have to take out to pay for that??
:happyfish

cadbury

Tank looks great, the only thing I would of done different is maybe put it into the wall instead, would of looked really cool.

bigtyguyy

Gold strip you get this baby done? I would still love to see your finished product. I still love it soo far