Sump/Fuge Design

famous

I am trying to design a Sump/Fuge for a 150 gallon tank. I plan on it being out of a 55 gallon. Just wondering if this design looks ok or if it needs some adjusting. The section with the skimmer is 14 inches and the one with the fuge is 14 inches as well. Each baffle is 2 inches apart. I liked the idea of having the return in the middle so I can adjust the amount of flow over the fuge. Thanks for the help!

reefforbrains

I think where you have it dumping into the fuge portion could create issues of sand storm depending on your flow.
What about kicking it into an additional chamber to the far right and letting it flow and roll over 1 more baffle, this should also tumble yoru cheato and give good flow without any fear of disturbing anything.
Also if building in a 55. Thats 48 inch of room. You could make 5 chambers so you can have room to play with carbon or more LR ect. I normally think 5 chambers is too much but keeping the fuge separate from the sump on oposite ends with gates to adjust flow going to each end can allow for more room to fine tune.
Chamb #1

[hr]
Chamb #2

[hr]
Chamb#3

[hr]
Chamb#4

[hr]
Chamber #5
Skimmer

[hr]
LR, w/crab time out

[hr]
Return

[hr]
Fuge

[hr]
Small Dump
just a thought.

famous

Thats a good idea. I did not think about dumping the water into the fuge mixing it all up but im sure it would. Do you think that 5 chambers would be too much and limit the size of the fuge too much? The one that holds the carbon would only have to be 4 or 5 inches right?

reefforbrains

You can put carbon right in the dump portion since it would be isolated.
Also never underestimate the power of a small fuge. Sometimes more is less when building systems. You want it all obviously but with the right flow and sizes divided off in a given tank you should have no prob accomplishing your goals.
I would also draw in the baffles closer together, saves space. also just add larger snails and such so they will stay in the chamber you put them.

famous

I think that I will go with the 4 chamber design. How far apart do you reccomend the baffles being? I read somewhere that 2 inches was normal but not real sure. Thanks