sump/fuge design

steelrain

Alright, here goes.
I want to get a standard 180 allglass tank and add a 55 gal tank as the sump and fuge. the 180 will have two pre-drilled holes in the rear corners. I have no freakin idea on wher to start the design planning, I searched for "sump" and "plumbing designs" but i am still confused.
Is it possible to have the fuge and the sump in the same 55 gal tank anyways?
I know the skimmer goes in the sump, but would I need any additional filtering, Oh ya the tank will be an aggressive setup with about 100 or so lbs of LR.
Thanks
Tim

bheron

if you search for "sump" in this forum you'll find ALOT of info and ideas. i did and just posted my two ideas in this forum yesterday. check them out to get you started - one idea incorporates both in one, while the other incorporates a seperate sump and fuge. apparently from feedback both work!

bheron I just posted a thread on sump/refug no answer yet maybe you could tell me how many inches the baffles should be.appreciate the help.

bheron

I didnt know at the time but since then i've found out from a great source.
The baffles should be 1" apart. There should be three of them. I'll send you this think to another member's excellent web site. Its been so helpful.
Hold on...

bheron

ok, check out this awesome site below on building a sump/fuge (it uses the idea of a hang on back overflow).
http://www.melevsreef.com/
Seriously, just page through the DIY forum or do a simple search on the topic "sump" and you'll gett loads of info!
good luck!