Sump/fuge DIY

sx450 rider

Hey guys! So recently I said I was going to start a 29g biocube. Plans changed and I decided to go with a 55g. I set it all up and plugged in my old canister filter to get it started on cycling. Now I want to turn a spare 20t into a sump/fuge. I have thought about just buying one but I like the idea of building one better. So if anyone has drawings or can point me to some that would be great. Next, what is the best algae to use in the fuge? I know that it kinda comes down to personal preference on that but I really don't even know where to start. This is the first time I will be running a sump. I will have to run all this through a syphon overflow so I won't be able to run a very high rate of flow. Is that going to impede my abilities to grow LPS? Also any input on do's and do not's would be awesome! I'm still pretty new to this and you guys are about the only reference that I really trust. Thank you in advance!

lmforbis

First off I'd make sure you can get the sump into your stand that may be a big factor if it will fit I'd get a 20 long A 20 tall will be hard to work inside of unless you have a stand that is higher than 40". You might be stuck using a 10 gallon because of the front to back dimention.
i made one just using ~1/4 inch plexiglass for the baffles and gluing them in with aquarium safe silicone. You will want to determine what equipment you will be putting in it to make sure you make the chambers big enough.
I bought my first one from a company called Windrider Creations. I t holds 15 gal and is only 9" front to back. It fit well under a 55

I use chaeto morpha in my sump.

beaslbob

I would recommend you set up a test system in the garage or driveway and play with it to get all the adjustments and operation correct. Much better to have a woops there then over the carpet inside.
adjustments:
1) no flood in power out.
2) no flood and normal operation returns when power returns
3) no flood with drain failure (blockage or siphon break) --pump should run out of water before display floods.

you can also use pvc to make a reliable and inexpensive overflow.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/the-beaslbob-trap-s.370270/#post-3362605

also you don't need to use an aquarium. You can use plastic storage containers with the best being one for the refugium and a small one for the sump. you can even put the smaller one inside the larger one which will function as baffles. I 'crammed' in a container with the long dimension for and aft under my old 55g. The part that stuck out the back made for a straight down drain from the overflow to the refugium.

my .02

Last edited:

sx450 rider

Yeah I just set this 20t under my tank and realized how tight it will be. Definitely going to have to run a 20 long or a storage container like bob suggested. Do you have to be careful on the type of plastic you make it from? and what is the best way to protect from a syphon break and overfilling my display? Do you think it would be worth it to just invest in say a trigger systems sump/fuge? I would like to build my own but if I'm just going to end up fighting it later on and risk ruining either my tank or carpet i will probably just invest.

beaslbob

Yeah I just set this 20t under my tank and realized how tight it will be. Definitely going to have to run a 20 long or a storage container like bob suggested. Do you have to be careful on the type of plastic you make it from? and what is the best way to protect from a syphon break and overfilling my display? Do you think it would be worth it to just invest in say a trigger systems sump/fuge? I would like to build my own but if I'm just going to end up fighting it later on and risk ruining either my tank or carpet i will probably just invest.
All that is the reason to setup a test system in the garage. Actually, even the more expensive refug/sumps have the same exact problems and IMHO require the same exact testing. And fail in the same exact way.
What I do on hob overflows is put an air line to the tube/pvc on the hob part and connect that tube to the "bubbler" on maxijet powerheads. I found I had to use the largest and it sucked out 2 u tubes in about 20-30 seconds. Besides you have to have some circulation anyway. May as well suck out any air in the hob syphon.
Also see test 3 above. I test by failing the siphon and adjusting sump water level so the pump runs dry before the display floods. I then return to normal operation and mark the water level on the sump. From that point on I never never add water (top off, water changes) above that line. That will insure the display never floods in a drain failure and that adjustment is necessary even in a drilled tank with no siphon. Afterall, drains can and do block.

again while you're playing around and thinking about it, pretend your 20g is your display tank and setup a test system in your garage. Afterall, storage containers and pvc are very expensive much less expensive the cleaning up after a flood in the family room.

Even with pvc, storage containers etc, you should be able to prime the water trap (or outside box) turn on the power, and the system will establish siphon and start normal operation with no flooding.