Sump/fuge inhabitants question

fishyfun2

Hello,
I just finished a huge clean-out of my sump/fuge. Quick background, I have a 29 gal DT and a 20 gal sump with the center chamber as my fuge. It is a small fuge, maybe holding like 3 gallons. I currently have a bare-bottom fuge with just a PH to tumble a clump of chaeto. All 3 chambers get very scuzzy on the bottom and sides. I have it all cleaned up now and am wondering a better way keep things tidy down there. I know people do LS and LR rubble in the fuge, but I have seen in other threads people also put crabs and snails in there too? I think I have just 2 snails that have migrated down from the DT. They are small guys (nerite) and they travel between all 3 chambers. They aren't doing anything of course for the yuck that settles on the bottom. Suggestions for fixing up my sump/fuge?
I'm not trying to get out of cleaning it, just trying to find a way to keep it looking nice like the DT does in between water changes.
I'm going to be placing an order soon for some snails and stuff. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!