sump/fuge plumbing help

larryndana

ok in the sec pic, the return will have a ball valve on it below the elbow fitting.
in the third pic, at the end will be a valve for water changes.
any thing i should change?
what kind of glue should i use when i'm ready? just normal pvc cement?
and should i need anything to keep the pipes steady and secure?

larryndana

oh, 75display, 20L sump/fuge. i orginianlly wanted to use a 30L, but changed to a 20L. I've also got to put the baffles in, this was my setup for the 30 same format just 6 inches shorter.

renogaw

Originally Posted by larryndana
ok in the sec pic, the return will have a ball valve on it below the elbow fitting.
in the third pic, at the end will be a valve for water changes.
any thing i should change?
what kind of glue should i use when i'm ready? just normal pvc cement?
and should i need anything to keep the pipes steady and secure?
there's things called j-hooks (in plastic) or metal natick hangers, or if you want REALLY secure pipe grab split rings and F&M plates with some threaded rod. or if you want it just to sit in the hangers and sorta float there, get M-locks (a-bands, adjustable swivel hangers, depending on jargin in area) and f&m plates. Normal glue and primer should be fine. i have some questions on the setup, let me look at it again (mainly cause this is how i'm going to do my fuge)

renogaw

ok, why do you have a baffle on your inlet, to make the incoming water go to the bottom first for skimming? also, the 3" baffle distance, are you putting a sponge in there, or what's the reasoning there? what's going to go on the pipe to the left of that tee, and why do you have a tee at the bottom of your return?
Hope you don't mind me asking, just wondering what they are for before i take my plunge.

larryndana

Originally Posted by renogaw
ok, why do you have a baffle on your inlet, to make the incoming water go to the bottom first for skimming?
so that i can put a sponge there so that some of the food, waste, ditritus that comes from the tank can be take out. would there be no reason to do this?
also, the 3" baffle distance, are you putting a sponge in there, or what's the reasoning there?
this would be for mechanical and/or chemcial filtration. i.e. sponge or carbon.

what's going to go on the pipe to the left of that tee, and why do you have a tee at the bottom of your return?
right now i have it resting on the bottom and don't know if i'm going to raise it up or not. i've seen a picture of a return that came straight down to an elbow, then to a tee, then to another elbow, this allowed the flow to go slower for less bubbles.

Hope you don't mind me asking, just wondering what they are for before i take my plunge.
i don't mind at all, need to know if what i have will work.

larryndana

there's things called j-hooks (in plastic) or metal natick hangers, or if you want REALLY secure pipe grab split rings and F&M plates with some threaded rod. or if you want it just to sit in the hangers and sorta float there, get M-locks (a-bands, adjustable swivel hangers, depending on jargin in area) and f&m plates. Normal glue and primer should be fine. i have some questions on the setup, let me look at it again (mainly cause this is how i'm going to do my fuge)
ok thanks, was wondering if i should prime it or not.

renogaw

Originally Posted by larryndana
ok thanks, was wondering if i should prime it or not.
pvc has to be primed. there is a clear primer if you dont want to use the purple primer. makes it look nicer :)

larryndana

wonder if i should return the 20l and get a 29....would mean more room for excess water during a power outage.