sump help

kpk

can i put a shut off float on my pump in my sump i have a 100 gallon aquarium and a overflow box and a 740gph via aqua pump do i need to get a smaller pump or can i make a shut off valve so it will shut off when the water level lowers it is a 20 gallon sump and a 1 1/4 in. siphon out of my tank or can i pump some water out of the main tank with a maxi jet 295gph with the siphon or will the siphon keep up with the 740gph pump what should i do downgrade to a 500gph pump or something

pbuck

I have a float valve on my mag 5. I don't know if that helps any but for what its worth.

T

thomas712

I really do not know.
However there is something that I do not understand here.
If you have an overflow box, then why would you NEED to pump water to the sump?:confused: Just use a sump pump and let the overflow box fill itself and drain back to the sump.

broomer5

can i put a shut off float on my pump in my sump ?
YES - but why are you wanting to do this ?
i have a 100 gallon aquarium and a overflow box and a 740gph via aqua pump
WHAT flowrate is the overflow rated for ?
do i need to get a smaller pump
DEPENDS on the rating on your current overflow.
or can i make a shut off valve so it will shut off when the water level lowers
NOT sure I understand what you are asking ?
it is a 20 gallon sump and a 1 1/4 in. siphon out of my tank.
THAT'S helpful to know.
or can i pump some water out of the main tank with a maxi jet 295gph with the siphon
YES - but I would strongly discourage you from doing this. It's a flood waiting to happen.
I'll change my answer to NO
or will the siphon keep up with the 740gph pump
AGAIN it all depends on what the overflow is rated for.
what should i do downgrade to a 500gph pump or something?
AGAIN it all depends on what the overflow is rated for.

Rather than spend money on a smaller pump if that is indeed what you need why not put a ball valve on the return line so you can regulate the flow?
Rich