sump ideas?

rosco

My friend has a 60g reef and just added a 20g tank as a sump. He's undecided how to utilize the extra space. I thought maybe a dsb with macro would be good, but I've been reading that that a 20g may be too small to keep a healthy dsb. Any suggestions whether a dsb will survive in a 20g. We'll probaly chamber off a small section to use as the return pool which will take away from the area we are allowed to use. But I think he should go with the macro a some live rock for sure, let me know what you guys and gals think.

celacanthr

you should be fine with a dsb, since a 20 gallon long has the same foot print as my 37 gallon tank, which has a DSB.
I would skip the LR, really no need to get any if you have macro, and a DSB.
HTH

rosco

It's a 20g tall so it has the same foot print as ten, I think. And I read on a thread that 10g was too small, that's why I asked. Sorry I should have put the 20g tall part in. but the LR is just to give the macro something to grap onto, but there are cheaper ways of doing that. Thanks

celacanthr

You may have problems with a DSB that small, but I think as long as you have ltos o sand stirrers, you should be okay doky.