Sump in basement

c42480

Okay i want to put a 55 gallon sump in my basement so i have more water in my system. Im looking for a recomendation for in sump pumps. I will need to push the water up about 10 feet. but i will also need to push the water in a strait line for about 12 feet. I drew a crude picture of what it looks like. It will be a 5' rise to the floor joist than a 12' run along the joist and than a 5' rise to the tank. I would want about 1000 gph into the tank after head lost i will put a ball valve in ilne to control excess flow. Any help would be great.
...........5'|tank
.............|______
..................12'..|
................ sump|5'
Thanks Chuck

matt b

Originally Posted by c42480
http:///forum/post/2531753
Okay i want to put a 55 gallon sump in my basement so i have more water in my system. Im looking for a recomendation for in sump pumps. I will need to push the water up about 10 feet. but i will also need to push the water in a strait line for about 12 feet. I drew a crude picture of what it looks like. It will be a 5' rise to the floor joist than a 12' run along the joist and than a 5' rise to the tank. I would want about 1000 gph into the tank after head lost i will put a ball valve in ilne to control excess flow. Any help would be great.
...........5'|tank
.............|______
..................12'..|
................ sump|5'
Thanks Chuck
with that much head loss I would do a extrnal pump cause with a internal one you might have heat problems. But if your set on a internal look into magdrive. What size overflow do you have? or what size bulk head fittings

c42480

External is not out of the question but i would like it in the sump. also internal pumps seemed to be more energy efficent Thats why i was looking at them. I have 1" drain and a 3/4" return. Now my sump is a 20 long and i want more room under my tank as well as more water for the system.
Chuck

wattsupdoc

Mag 24 might get you pretty close if you go to 1 1/4" on the return line.
Iwaki MD70RLT for an external outta get you there.
Gen-X PCX100 (Mak5) would be a little cheaper.
Upsizing the return line to 1 in minumim. 1 1/4 prefered, IMO.
Google head loss calculator.

al mc

"Doc' is very good with these type of situations but I would even consider the Mag 36 with a ball valve internally or a sequence pump..I use a Hammerhead in two similar situations and have a 'T' to return some water back to the sump with a ball valve.

c42480

Thanks for everyones help. If i go with an external do you drill the side of the sump or are the pumps self priming? Im looking at external now for heat reasons. If i do a large mag and i have a 90 display and 55 sump t5 lights how much do you thing the insump pumps will raise the temp?
Chuck

matt b

Originally Posted by c42480
http:///forum/post/2533281
Thanks for everyones help. If i go with an external do you drill the side of the sump or are the pumps self priming? Im looking at external now for heat reasons. If i do a large mag and i have a 90 display and 55 sump t5 lights how much do you thing the insump pumps will raise the temp?
Chuck
With t5 it shouldent be THAT big of a deal I was thinking you had MH. All the extrnal pump I have seen you have to drill the side and put a bulk head in and plumb the pump to that. But I have never had one so I cant help to much. Just wait for doc hes my hero when it comes to this stuff

al mc

You address indicates you live in NY so I do not think heat will be an issue if you use an in sump Mag pump.
External: I drilled holes with a hole saw and put in bulk head fittings, then plumbed to the external pump. I would put a couple 'twist on' fittings on the intact and outflow areas (in the pvc going in and out of the pump) of the pump to allow you to disconnect the pump for cleaning/repair, if needed. I also do this with in sump pumps on the outflow/discharge side for easy cleaning/repair or for changing the pump out.

wattsupdoc

Heat will be minimal with the in sump. Non existant with the external. I'd do external if it were me. However I'm big on the mag drives. With T5's you'll be all good to go either way. Also does the basement stay a little cooler than the upstairs?

c42480

The basement stays about 60 in the winter and 70 or so in the summer. I just want to use what ever pump is the best. I was told that the external pumps used more energy thats why i was looking at the in sump pumps. Where can i get a hole saw that will drill glass?
Chuck

c42480

Okay i was going to go with a 125rr but i found a brand new oceanic 178gallon 5 foot tank at my lfs and bought that instead. Would 2 smaller pumps be better than one large one?
Chuck