Sump installed, now need to start it up ...

nasotang00

Ok, i have the external overflow filled with tank water (no siphon yet) and the sump installed (no water yet) with all the plumbing. What i would like to know now is what and how do i do first. Since my tank is filled at the optimum level, do I start the siphon on the overflow and let it drain into and fill up the sump, mark the level there, then start the return pump and mark where the level in the sump ends up being. I there a better way>
Thanks all .... once again.

botp2k1

What kind of overflow do you have? U tube, CPR, home made? I am not sure of your question. Do not fill both the tanks to the top, leave some room on both tanks for more water.

nasotang00

I have an Acrylic Creations U-Tube. I really just need to know the steps to start the system up. What comes first and so on.
Tanks much.

Well I can help you out by telling you the way "I" started mine.....I started withe the main tank at the level I wanted to keep it at then filled the sump about 1/3 of the way up (you can always add a lil' more when you find out how much room you need for "power outage" drain back) Then I started the siphon and turned on the return pump. It worked for me and should for you :D
Good luck :cool:
Mark
Wastedincome420@aol.com

botp2k1

Mark is right, the important thing is leave room in the sump for the back siphon when the power goes out or the pump is stopped. Also the easiest way to start the siphon is fill the U tube full with water, cover both ends with saran wrap, place U tube in overflow box, and remove saran wrap. This way you elimnate needing to suck out the air from the U tube.

nasotang00

Thanks all, I have one more question. My drain hose is 1" dia. and the return on the pump max 9.5 is only 1/2" dia. is this ok or should i make the return hose at least 3/4".
[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: NasoTang00 ]

botp2k1

Make it 3/4", less restrictions, also you may want to plan on a gate valve on the return to throttle back if necessary.

nasotang00

Thanks bot for your help. Actually I will be using a Rio2100 instead of the mag.
This is to all . . . . everyone who has a sump, how do you deeal with evaporation so as you maintain equality in water to the sump. does everyone add top off daily?? -just curious.