Sump or canister filter?

kreker

I'm coming from the freshwater tank hobby and I'm setting up a 90 gallon tank with live rock and invertebrates (eventually) and fish. I'm trying to decide between a canister filter or a sump. I already have my tank and I cannot drill it. Can anyone out there give me the advantages and disadvantages of each system? One other note, I would like to have all my equipment enter the tank through some sort of tube that I can seal around instead of an open section in the lid for a waterfall style return. Thanks a bunch!

jumpfrog

Here's my $.02.
Sump is the better way to go:
1. Adds more water volume
2. Increased flexibility for equipment
3. Keeps equipment out of the tank
Canisters are great for freshwater as they nitrate levels don't have as much of an impact on freshwater fish as they do for saltwater. Especially if you go reef and have corals. The canisters do such a good job of filtering that the stuff they trap quickly become nitrate factories.
I personally use a sump for increased volume, filtration and for my skimmer. I also use a canister for running carbon to get a high flow through it. But I replace carbon often to minimize collecting stuff in the canister.
Not sure what you mean about the tube vice waterfall. If you're talking about a hang on overflow to get the water to the sump, that's the only option you have if the tank is not drilled.
Hope that helps.

ecoman

i have a magnum 350 convertible canister that sits on the floor and i am using ammo - carb and a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. I plan to get 2 powerheads real soon and add my live rock. Just got it setup, but from what I have read, a protein skimmer removes alot of the bad stuff that could become nitrate problems. Get a good clean up crew, weekly water changes of about 7% (remove the water using a vacuum siphon on the surface of tank and ornaments) and keep an eye on your readings.. This is the advice I was given since I dont want to get a broke bank account! If you want to add water volume, get a bigger tank, thats not an excuse to get a sump.. You can always invest later if nitrates become problematic, but with scheduled maintenance, you should be fine. Or wait a few months and I will tell you personally..