sump or canister

J

jerzytwinz

I have a 75 gallon tank, what is the best way to go with for filtration eheim canister or sump

cain420

lots of us use a canister with carbon for the occassional cloudy water.. a sump wont clear it up like carbon will..
i heard that if you plan on coral, u will only want a fuge.. correct me if i heard wrong..

milomlo

so do you guys have a sump and don't use filters? I am just researching as I want a 120. I want a sump/fuge set up (mostly for the fuge as I have read about the benefits of having the micro algae and more water capacity). I thought you had a filter though. Confused about this. Can someone give me some advice or input??

jumpfrog

Ideally the live rock should do most of your biological filtration, the most important. Your mechanical filtration can come from a variety of methods. Some use a filter pad in there sump and clean it often. Others use sponges and clean often. Chemical filtration, if you use it can be a carbon bag in the sump or use a canister or hang on filter. Lot's of possiblities and they all have the positive and negatives. Sump gives you the most options though plus the benefit of increased water volume.
Hope that helps.

milomlo

ok thank you. Yes that kind of clears it up. I do use carbon so you are saying I can just put a carbon media bag into the sump if needed.
Thank you

J

jerzytwinz

so a wet dry is the one to go with how much would it run me for it

J

jerzytwinz

whats a good brand wet dry and whats a good protein skimmer

milomlo

Now I thought I read that wet/dry's were not that great because the bio balls can hold trates??? I don't know just asking. Or is that not a wet/dry??

madison

My $0.02...
For my 300g REEF...I use a 200g sump/refg, tons of micro algae, 50lbs of M mud, 450lbs of LR (total), 200lbs of LS, G-4X skimmer, no bio balls....However I will run carbon in a bag maybe 1x's every 2 months for 48 hours just in case
For my 180g FOWLA...I use a 100g sump/refg, tons of mirco algae, wet/dry, G-6 skimmer, 100lbs of LR and 150lbs of LS
For my 90g FISH ONLY...I use a 30g sump, wet dry, G-6 skimmer
I guess what I am trying to say is...different application can be used, depending on what you are trying to keep