sump/overflow hooked up but HELP PLEASE

hckycoz

ok well from the pictures you gave me it looks like you are using a u tube. You will need to some how fill the tube with water and that should start a siphon. but the other pictures i can not see to make them out.

delira5cal

i found a tread that tells how to start the siphon and control the water level in the sump we are going to try it. the other pictures were the sump the skimmer and return pump i took them up an down. thank you so much

delira5cal

OK FINALLY WE GOT EVERYTHING HOOKED UP, WITH MUCH TRAIL AND ERROR, ALMOST 2 VERY BIG ERRORS. ONCE THE SUMP ALMOST OVERFLOWED AND THE OTHER THE MAIN TANK.
BUT ANYWAY I AM STILL NOT REAL CONVINCED ON WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE POWER WENT OUT, ETC. ANYWAY WILL PLAY WITH THAT MORE TOMORROW.
REAL QUICK I DON'T LIKE ALL OF THE LITTLE BUBBLES COMING OUT OF THE RETURN. OUR RETURN PUMP IS HOOKED TO THE POWERHEAD AND THEN A DUCKBILL LIKE SPOUT IN THE TANK IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO REDUCE BUBBLES? THANKS

hckycoz

I have no idea how to reduce the bubbles unless they are coming from the return pump then you will need to find a way to eliminate the bubbles before the enter the pump

james983

You have to adjust the flow very carefully at first to be sure you do not overflow either the sump or your main tank. You should monitor it most of the day before you leave the house to avoid problems. You most likely will need a ball valve to make adustments. Also, be sure the overflow box is set high enough in the main tank in the event of power failure the sump does not overflow. Be sure to leave room in sump to accomodate this happening. The other problem is if you loes siphon the pump will continue pumping into the main tank. So your return should be high enough in sump and there is ample space in main tank to handle overflow. Another problem is that the pump will most likely burn out when it pumps dry. But in my opinion I'd rather burn out a pump then overfow the tank. Below sumps and refugiums are trickey at first, but with these steps you shouls avoid major headaches.

delira5cal

WE GOT EVERYTHING FIGURED OUT ON THE LEVELS. TRIED TURNING OFF RETURN AND SUMP DID NOT COME CLOSE TO OVERFLOWING.
ANYWAY STILL HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH BUBBLES. WE FIGURED OUT THEY ARE COMING FROM THE BUBBLE DIFFUSER ON THE SKIMMER. SO THIS IS OUR ONLY DILEMA FOR NOW. IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY TIPS ON THIS DIFFUSER I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP